News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Valuation of XD-1

Started by polygrl, March 31, 2018, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

I normally don't post the registry info on the forum, but this is such a unique car I will share it here;

XD1. MK I. VIN # not known. Factory sponsored drag model built 6/19/92 by Pro 5.0 racer Steve Grebeck. The base 92 GT was acquired by Grebeck and his then partner Richard Walker from a local salvage auction as a recovered theft. It had been already converted into a drag car (tubbed with roll cage). The car was not a SAAC production car and was never owned by the SAAC Car Company. Grebeck completely stripped the car down and rebuilt it from the ground up with fabrication help from Roush employee, Paul Swindlehurst. Acid-dipped body, doors and front suspension removed 40% of the original mass; roof lowered 1/2". Powered by an iron block 302 bored and stroked to 342 CID with 13.5:1 compression, aluminum TFS heads and Holley 4V on custom intake with cowl induction (1,100 HP with 3 stages of NOS controlled by Digital Fuel Injection); Roush 7 liter oiling system designed for use in the Trans Am Series Mustangs; Wiseco Pistons, Carrillo rods, Speed-Pro rings; Comp Cams roller, Crane 1.6:1 roller Rockers, Vasco Jet valve springs, 5/16 Smith Brothers pushrods, Martyniak aluminum oil pan, and Weaver dry sump system; Jerico clutchless 4-speed transmission; solid-lock 4.56 custom 9" rear end; Lamb disc brakes; Eibach springs and Koni double-adjustable shock absorbers and struts; adjustable rear wing; chrome moly roll cage; 52" wheelie bars; Lexan windows; Halon fire system; 12' parachute. The interior retained the stock appearing dash, adding SAAC black leather door panels, and Pro Stock carbon fiber seats covered in black leather with SAAC logo and striping. The finished car weighed in at 2700 pounds. Testing commenced at Milan Dragway 7/18/92 at the "All Ford Event" with an easy first pass of 10.55 / 130.81 mph, followed by a 10.48 pass, and a 9.29 pass using one stage of nitrous on 7/19/92. Grebeck qualified second in the inaugural race event 7/26/92 at the 5.0L Shootout World Championship (Englishtown, NJ) 8.87 sec. @ 154 mph; finished 2nd in the finals with a pass of 9.56 sec. @ 151 mph. On 9/23/92 at the World's Fastest Street Car Shoot-Out (Memphis, TN) it finished 3rd; 11/1/92 Mustang vs. Grand National Shootout (Las Vegas, NV) 2nd fastest qualifier with 8.82 sec. pass on Sunday; (was the round winner Monday 11/2/92). On 6/20/93 the car qualified in the Mustang vs. Grand National Shootout (Englishtown, NJ) with a 9.89 sec. pass (round winner with 9.164 sec. @ 150.75 mph); Winner of the '93 5.0L World Championship (Englishtown, NJ). Pictured in 1/92 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords; 11/92 Mustang & Fords; 11/92 Super Ford; 12/92 Car Craft; 12/92 Mustang Illustrated; 12/92 Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords; '92 No 2 Super Mustang & Hot Fords; 3/93 Mustang & Fords; 11/93 Mustang & Fords; 3/94 Hot Rod; SVO Performance Catalog. Displayed at SEMA/AI show 11/92 (Las Vegas, NV). Ran quarter mile in mid-eight seconds @ 150+MPH.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

Quote from: polygrl on March 31, 2018, 08:34:08 PM
It's a roller...but the rear end and tubing are all the same/original

Are there any engine/trans parts left or is that all gone?

polygrl

Engine and Transmission were gone before it was acquired. Otherwise, description is spot on, except seats seem to be fiberglass not carbon fiber.

Richstang

Thanks for confirming the description.

Are the fiberglass seats covered in the SAAC embroidered leather, just the wrong description?
It would make more sense they were fiberglass, as not many people had access to carbon fiber back then.

polygrl

The SAAC embroidered leather is accurate. They had measured the roof and thought it was lower, so very happy to confirm they were right.

Richstang

I can't imagine anyone giving you a fair accurate valuation. The SAAC MKI XD-1 is unique in more ways than one. It's not a production SAAC car, but is listed as a prototype. You won't find many collectors hunting for that type of car.

The best group of people to talk to will be the Mustang Fox Body enthusiasts. There were a few well known competitors such as Stormin' Norman, Gene Deputy, and Brian Wolfe (sp?). Some of those cars may have been listed for sale to compare against. I think Stormin Norman's GT convertible drag car was recently auctioned off and sold.

There was a fellow who went by "Old Mil" on our old SAAC forum (before it crashed and SAAC started this new forum.) He was very serious about finding the car again, since it went into hiding many years ago. hopefully he will see this post and chime in.

Richstang

I just checked and "OldMil" is a current active member. I'm sure he'll chime in as soon as he reads this post.

polygrl

Thanks!!! There is a motor sitting next to it that should put it right back into the 8's if not 7's-the son wants to race it again, but senior has been contemplating selling it, so this has been very helpful information.

pmustang

Sounds awesome.  Excited to see photos.

OldMil

Quote from: Richstang on March 31, 2018, 09:05:53 PM
I can't imagine anyone giving you a fair accurate valuation. The SAAC MKI XD-1 is unique in more ways than one. It's not a production SAAC car, but is listed as a prototype. You won't find many collectors hunting for that type of car.

The best group of people to talk to will be the Mustang Fox Body enthusiasts. There were a few well known competitors such as Stormin' Norman, Gene Deputy, and Brian Wolfe (sp?). Some of those cars may have been listed for sale to compare against. I think Stormin Norman's GT convertible drag car was recently auctioned off and sold.

There was a fellow who went by "Old Mil" on our old SAAC forum (before it crashed and SAAC started this new forum.) He was very serious about finding the car again, since it went into hiding many years ago. hopefully he will see this post and chime in.

Sorry guys, I must not be the same Old Mil as I am not familiar with this car- but find it all very interesting!  Good luck with your research..Cheers, Jack

Richstang

Sorry for the mistaken identity "OldMil", but thanks for letting us know I was off.

I did some digging on the "webarchive" website and found a link to the original post (on the old forum) for the 1992 SAAC MKI XD-1.
It was forum member "Old5.0" that searching for this car. I've attached a link to the old forum thread for those interested.
There are lots of photos from past magazines, old races, and a few pits/paddock shots.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150925115942/http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=13634.0

polygrl

Quote from: pmustang on April 01, 2018, 07:13:26 AM
Sounds awesome.  Excited to see photos.
The thing about that route is: that plan was put on the back burner when someone decided to continue their higher education...so hopefully you're still excited to see photos in another 5 years, lol.

polygrl

Quote from: Richstang on April 01, 2018, 10:47:41 AM
Sorry for the mistaken identity "OldMil", but thanks for letting us know I was off.

I did some digging on the "webarchive" website and found a link to the original post (on the old forum) for the 1992 SAAC MKI XD-1.
It was forum member "Old5.0" that searching for this car. I've attached a link to the old forum thread for those interested.
There are lots of photos from past magazines, old races, and a few pits/paddock shots.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150925115942/http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=13634.0

That archive link is amazing! Can't wait to share it with them.