News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Undercarriage refresh order of operations

Started by Corey Bowcutt, January 17, 2021, 07:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

This winter I am removing the undercoating on my 68 GT350 and respraying the red oxide primer.  There are 4 steps to the refinishing as I see it.  The only step I am not 100% sure the order of is the application of the seam sealer.  This is my guess as to the order of operation please let me know if this is correct or not.

1) Spray with red oxide epoxy primer
2) Seam seal
3) Body color overspray
4) rich weld blackout overspay

Thank you, Corey

Coralsnake

shelbydoug

Red primer? '68s only have that in certain areas like under the engine. Other areas are a batch grey that more closely resembles a mix of GM trunk spray and corrosion? I don't know how you replicate that?

The best illustration of it were the pictures of -00212 that were posted on Forum 1 and got lost in the crash.

The bottoms of my '68, -01107, look just like that. It does not look like the all red oxide like the '67s do.

Good luck with that. I have no idea how you accurately recreate it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

The 1968s I have seen used a reddish brown red oxide primer. I have seen a lot of 1968s and challenge you to post a gray primer car.

🤪

Coralsnake

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 17, 2021, 10:57:08 AM
The 1968s I have seen used a reddish brown red oxide primer. I have seen a lot of 1968s and challenge you to post a gray primer car.

🤪
+1  . Dearborn cars were typically batch color/gray
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

I was going to challenge him to a duel, but my flint is worn

😊

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on January 17, 2021, 01:51:19 PM
I was going to challenge him to a duel, but my flint is worn

😊
i think this would be more apropriate. ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

What I have seen and collected pictures of. The batch (often a dark gray/ blue or green tint) gray would be what was typically applied to the floors from the firewall rearward on 68 Dearborn cars as Bob wrote
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

🤪

It's not a grey primer it's a rusty/greyish crud. It's only red primer under the front engine bracing.

As ususal, YOU"RE the expert and my car is a bullsh it phoney counterfeit along with Phil's -00212. But that's ok. Everyone knows that YOU know absolutely EVERYTHING about '68s.

You can show us a picture of the plaque that you had engraved for yourself that proves it!  ;)

The color in the vicinity of the bell house is PINK. There are three sections to the color. It changes from front, to center, to rear near the axle where it is the crud color.

Phil's car is almost identical BUT the common denominator is they are both white cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Just post your pictures or post Phil's pictures that will solve it.

I never claimed to know everything, but I appreciate the compliments. I think there are going to be a lot of embarrassed 1968 judges.

Personally, I am always willing to learn.

If you would like, I can post some unrestored 1968s?

:'(

Coralsnake

1480 unrestored looks more red than gray to me?

Coralsnake

3660 - before restoration looks red

Coralsnake

Unrestored 4114 hmm, this one is red oxide too?

Coralsnake

88 looks a little darker, but it could be the lighting. Unrestored white car.