News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct carburetor

Started by hurlbird, January 17, 2021, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

With the price of these things I want to be sure I get exactly what I need... 1968 GT 350 4speed. Built 4-23-68.
* Correct Carb: S8MS-9510-C OR Autolite C8ZF-C. Is one more correct or desirable than the other?
* Date: I assume 833,834,841,842 any of these would be correct?
* Part number and date is on the carb horn and/the tag if still on it?
* What is LIST- ####? Do I care about this number?

Am I missing anything else? Any beware of XYZ?

Thanks!!!!!

TLea

Are you representing as factory install or recall? Your build date could probably be either

Coralsnake

Either carb is correct.  The car came with the Autolite, the dealer may have installed the Holley. Correct is in the eye of the beholder or the guy with the paperwork

The three digit codes are for the Holley carbs only.

A list number is a Holley code and it is directly related to the S8MS stamped on the carb air horn.

Autolite carbs are stamped on the base plate

Royce Peterson

Over the counter Holley replacement carbs can have the correct list number and date code but no Shelby part number.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

hurlbird

thanks guys. What about the date codes? I assume 833,834,841,842 any of these would be correct?

Pete what do you mean by paper work? I have build sheet is there something on that I should be aware of in this case?

Coralsnake

Warranty records might indicate a change.

Build sheets certainly would not

hurlbird

Coralsnake

The Autolite would be before the car, typically the Holley would be slightly before or after the campaign notice

hurlbird

perfect. and the dates ive suggested within 30 days of build would be  most correct for the Autolite? Thanks

TLea

If installed as recall Holley date could be well over a year after build date

hurlbird

Where is the Autolite date code? Just on the tag or elsewhere on the body? thanks

hurlbird

Autolite dates just on tag?

J_Speegle

Quote from: hurlbird on January 18, 2021, 08:25:50 PM
Where is the Autolite date code? Just on the tag or elsewhere on the body? thanks

Depends on if you're looking to see when an individual part of the carburetor was cast or when the carburetor was assembled.  Likely for your purposes your looking at assembly date then comparing it to the casting to make sure casting dates(s) are prior to the assembly date and you don't have a Frankenstein throw together carburetor.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

hurlbird

yes assembly date. Is that just on the tag for the Autolite or elsewhere too? thanks

J_Speegle

Quote from: hurlbird on January 20, 2021, 04:46:03 PM
yes assembly date. Is that just on the tag for the Autolite or elsewhere too? thanks

That is the only place I recall it being marked on those carbs that year
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge