Author Topic: Console wiring questions  (Read 1447 times)

69autocross

• View Profile
Console wiring questions
« on: January 19, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
Hello, new member here, looking for wiring help.

I have an original Ford Mustang wiring book for 1969, but it is missing the Shelby supplement.  I am adding a reproduction Shelby console to my '69 Mach 1.  I have the correct switches and a reproduction harness that connects to them.  It has 3 wires that branch off from the harness near the console switch connectors; a light green wire with a ring terminal, a light blue wire with a ring terminal (most likely goes to the cigar lighter following the regular Ford color codes) and a black w/ yellow stripe wire with a pigtail, both with ring terminals.  This is at the opposite end from the connection to the ammeter, and a much smaller gauge.  I have not put a meter on it, but I'm guessing it has continuity with the main feed from the alternator that goes through the ammeter. 

I am not attempting to connect to the turn signal or fog light connectors as I don't have the Shelby/Cougar tail lights or fog lights.  I plan to use the switches to operate aftermarket racing equipment.

My question is this: What does the light green wire and black w/ yellow trace wire connect to at the back of the console insert?

Thanks in advance.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Console wiring questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 05:33:34 PM »
The wires you are describing go to two circuit breakers

69autocross

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 08:19:15 AM »
Great, thanks for the reply!!  So the black w/yellow trace must come from the output side of the ammeter and it's the power in to the two breakers and the green and blue wires would be the power out?  Any chance someone could post pictures of where the breakers are located?

I may not need them for my purposes, but the closer I can keep it to "stock" the easier it will be to make everything work and to troubleshoot in the future.

Thanks again!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:33 AM »

69autocross

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »
Awesome!! many thanks!

69autocross

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 02:14:39 PM »
The idea of adding fog lights is starting to grow on me.  I could mount them on top of the gravel shield similar to the '68 Shelbys.

69autocross

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:10:27 PM »
One more question:  The ash tray light that goes through the square hole in the back of the mounting plate appears to be missing in the photo, but it was probably not installed either for clarity or just wasn't installed at that time it was taken.  Is there a single hole in the ash tray for the light to shine thru or several small ones?

I found two 15 amp circuit breakers, both claim to be for a '68 Shelby.  One looks identical to those pictured but the other is narrower and doesn't have a rib between the posts.  They both have the mounting tang extending from one end however, so they will physically install where they should be and work as intended.

I'm installing air duct intakes in place of the inner high beams, so I plan to mount the fog lights just below where the high beams used to be.