News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1966 Trans Am

Started by Mustang 66, April 04, 2021, 10:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang 66

R there any movies/video of 1966 Trans Am races preferably with lots of mustangs?

98SVT - was 06GT

I'd love to see the Riverside 4 hour. You couldn't write a better plot. Last race of the season. Championship up for grabs. Shelby builds a new car and has his B Production Champion Jerry Titus drive. He takes only two practice laps and pronounces the car "good to go". Titus qualifies it on the pole. They do a LeMans start on the back straight. Titus floods the car on the start and leaves dead last. After a short time he's passed the entire field and is in first place when disaster strikes - well at least one of Riverside's half buried tires marking the esses strikes and knocks off the oil filter. Titus makes the rest of the lap with zero oil pressure and pulls into the pits figuring the engine is toast. He makes his report to the boss lamenting how his day and the season are over for Ford. He's sitting on the pit wall lighting a cigarette after his chat with Shelby. The crew chief taps him on the shoulder and says "it's fixed hop in". Restarting from far back in the field Titus again drives to the front and clenches the first TransAm championship for Ford.  His win also launches his career as Mr. Transam.

Sometimes this stuff just writes itself.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Mustang 66

Yep that would b a great one to watch

68countrysedan

QuoteI'd love to see the Riverside 4 hour. You couldn't write a better plot. Last race of the season. Championship up for grabs. Shelby builds a new car and has his B Production Champion Jerry Titus drive. He takes only two practice laps and pronounces the car "good to go". Titus qualifies it on the pole. They do a LeMans start on the back straight. Titus floods the car on the start and leaves dead last. After a short time he's passed the entire field and is in first place when disaster strikes - well at least one of Riverside's half buried tires marking the esses strikes and knocks off the oil filter. Titus makes the rest of the lap with zero oil pressure and pulls into the pits figuring the engine is toast. He makes his report to the boss lamenting how his day and the season are over for Ford. He's sitting on the pit wall lighting a cigarette after his chat with Shelby. The crew chief taps him on the shoulder and says "it's fixed hop in". Restarting from far back in the field Titus again drives to the front and clenches the first TransAm championship for Ford.  His win also launches his career as Mr. Transam.

This would have made a far more entertaining film than Ford Vs Ferarri.

68countrysedan

QuoteFerarri

addendum: that should be Ferrari

Mustang 66

Yes sir I think way better

427heaven

After watching the movie my thoughts were that the Director, writers, producer and last but certainly not least the Actors playing the key rolls were not able to portray the moment in time, in which they were to capture. It was a great story line but left us wanting more that never came.

68countrysedan

QuoteAfter watching the movie my thoughts were that the Director, writers, producer and last but certainly not least the Actors playing the key rolls were not able to portray the moment in time, in which they were to capture. It was a great story line but left us wanting more that never came.

Amen. In one article about the cars used in the film, the director was described as knowing nothing about cars.

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: 68countrysedan on April 14, 2021, 07:30:43 PMthe director was described as knowing nothing about cars.
Not surprising 99 44/100% of Hollywood hates the evil car. They view it as an enemy of mother earth. Rumor was they ended the Long Beach celebrity race because it was getting too hard to find "names" to drive. The recent posts on Tim Allen point out how even Hollywood car guys don't even know much about what's in their own garage.

Side-Oilers

^^^^100% !!! 

Hollywood sucks, for a variety of reasons.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

Mustang 66

Yep just look at the Oscar's

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Mustang 66 on April 30, 2021, 05:43:32 PM
Yep just look at the Oscar's
Were you the guy that watched them?

Bigfoot

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on April 04, 2021, 02:45:15 PM
I'd love to see the Riverside 4 hour. You couldn't write a better plot. Last race of the season. Championship up for grabs. Shelby builds a new car and has his B Production Champion Jerry Titus drive. He takes only two practice laps and pronounces the car "good to go". Titus qualifies it on the pole. They do a LeMans start on the back straight. Titus floods the car on the start and leaves dead last. After a short time he's passed the entire field and is in first place when disaster strikes - well at least one of Riverside's half buried tires marking the esses strikes and knocks off the oil filter. Titus makes the rest of the lap with zero oil pressure and pulls into the pits figuring the engine is toast. He makes his report to the boss lamenting how his day and the season are over for Ford. He's sitting on the pit wall lighting a cigarette after his chat with Shelby. The crew chief taps him on the shoulder and says "it's fixed hop in". Restarting from far back in the field Titus again drives to the front and clenches the first TransAm championship for Ford.  His win also launches his career as Mr. Transam.

Now I want to see that!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI