Author Topic: 5S089 on Craigslist  (Read 11389 times)

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 5S089 on Craigslist
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
I hope this doesn’t devolve into defending Steve or defending Howard. I think Steve Algorri (camp upshur) and Howard Pardee (1965-66 registrar) are both doing this community a service. Howard does a great job with the Registry, and Steve is doing a great job providing first-hand information about a specific car. I see no problem with either of those.

Keep in mind that no one is perfect. I bought my car in 1979 and still own it. I quickly informed SAAC about my purchase and was listed as the owner in the 1987 Registry. Imagine my surprise when the 1997 Registry came out showing someone else owning my car. I contacted Howard and got things straightened out. But until the next printing, the Registry had false info about my car. Why? Because one person gave Howard the name of a new owner. And no effort was made to confirm or refute that information. Had I not spoken up, that false info would still be there - in the printed Registry and in Howard's data about my car.

Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I angry? No. Howard is one of the nicest, most honest and helpful people I’ve ever met. But he’s not perfect and neither is the info in the Registry. And it’s not fair to hold him or the Registry to that standard.

I thank Howard for the hard work he does on our behalf, and for the honest and ethical way he performs those duties.

And I thank Steve for sharing the first-hand information he has learned about this particular car – 5S089.

As more people get to inspect this car in person more facts will come to light. If those facts prove the current Registry information is accurate, then that’s fine. But if those facts prove the current Registry information to be wrong, then I feel certain a correction will be made.

My two cents,
Steve Sloan

carappraiser

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2021, 07:14:16 PM »
one more

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2021, 07:44:38 PM »
Compare San Jose 65 vin star on this t code San Jose car I found on the internet to the 65 gt350 star.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 07:58:16 PM by 427hunter »
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2021, 07:59:08 PM »
Here is a k code vin..

The star on the gt350 vin does not appear the same as the other two.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:05:19 PM by 427hunter »

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

SBCARGUY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
I hope this doesn’t devolve into defending Steve or defending Howard. I think Steve Algorri (camp upshur) and Howard Pardee (1965-66 registrar) are both doing this community a service. Howard does a great job with the Registry, and Steve is doing a great job providing first-hand information about a specific car. I see no problem with either of those.

Keep in mind that no one is perfect. I bought my car in 1979 and still own it. I quickly informed SAAC about my purchase and was listed as the owner in the 1987 Registry. Imagine my surprise when the 1997 Registry came out showing someone else owning my car. I contacted Howard and got things straightened out. But until the next printing, the Registry had false info about my car. Why? Because one person gave Howard the name of a new owner. And no effort was made to confirm or refute that information. Had I not spoken up, that false info would still be there - in the printed Registry and in Howard's data about my car.

Was I disappointed? Yes. Was I angry? No. Howard is one of the nicest, most honest and helpful people I’ve ever met. But he’s not perfect and neither is the info in the Registry. And it’s not fair to hold him or the Registry to that standard.

I thank Howard for the hard work he does on our behalf, and for the honest and ethical way he performs those duties.

And I thank Steve for sharing the first-hand information he has learned about this particular car – 5S089.

As more people get to inspect this car in person more facts will come to light. If those facts prove the current Registry information is accurate, then that’s fine. But if those facts prove the current Registry information to be wrong, then I feel certain a correction will be made.

My two cents,
Steve Sloan

+1

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2021, 12:52:36 AM »

My two cents,
Steve Sloan

Just so everyone is aware...Steve and I are friends and we "shot the sh$t" on the telephone today for almost an hour and a half about this and many other topics. We spent the entire time seeing eye to eye on a number of subjects (this car and our admiration for Howard P and the service he does the hobby...just to name a few)...

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2021, 10:59:30 AM »
Here is a k code vin..

All those stars appear to be the same  Ford unique star stamp to me. Why do you think they are different? A "star within a star" stamp. Do you think the star looks bigger in the "089"s pic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:03:33 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »
Here is a k code vin..

All those stars appear to be the same  Ford unique star stamp to me. Why do you think they are different? A "star within a star" stamp. Do you think the star looks bigger in the "089"s pic.

Look at the size, shape and imprint of the star on the gt350 compared to the other two, they are not the same. You can do a layover with your computer.

It could be some optical illusion from the photo or paint work - whatever it is we would need to know if other gt350's have vins that far offset.

If the car did have inner fender work to accommodate a 427 it would explain things not lining up - either way the car is the car, lots of things happen over the years...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:12:10 PM by 427hunter »

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Just to clarify, the "Steve" I spoke to yesterday was Steve A (aka Camp Upshur) not mr. sloan who is also on the thread! Just wanted to clarify so there is no confusion!

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 02:34:07 PM »

It could be some optical illusion from the photo or paint work - whatever it is we would need to know if other gt350's have vins that far offset.

I think the star is affected by the paint. They look the same to my eye.

427hunter

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 05:52:59 PM »

I think the star is affected by the paint. They look the same to my eye.

Do a layover with your computer then let me know what you think...

Inigo Montoya

Jackie Brown

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »
Did a layer over in photoshop, don't see any issues. IMO any differences can be easily explained by reflections, camera angle, etc.
Dave - 6S1757

chris NOS

• SAAC Member
  • 5S241 actual owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2021, 04:09:09 AM »
i agree with you Dave ,can't see differences that would indicate a different stamping .

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2021, 06:51:30 AM »
I am not well versed on the early cars, were panel date codes stamped in with hand stamps or pressed into panels?

PS: I am not going to try to take  sides or evaluate this car over a couple interweb photos, just trying to learn.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:01:13 AM by Coralsnake »

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2021, 07:10:31 AM »
were panel date codes stamped in with hand stamps or pressed into panels?

Date codes were pressed in at time of stamping.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0