News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Street tire choice

Started by TLea, January 28, 2021, 06:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLea

I have a customer with a completely stock car but he wants to put some aftermarket radials is on so he can enjoy driving it. Not looking to start a tire debate or necessarily the widest best performing that could be fit but more a good looking performing tire that will work without any clearance issues. He wants to run them on 15 x 7 torque thrust
Thanks

CSX 4133

So far I'm very happy with the BFG T/A (215/60-15) radials I use for casual driving on Shelby's. Low road noise, excellent handling (especially compared to the bias tires) and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

67 GT350

I would agree the BF Goodrich are a good choice and at the cost of a finger compared to an arm and a leg. The work well, again for the cost. I had a set of the repro Firestone Wide Oval tires on my 67 GT fastback and I loved them, they road great and the lettering was exact to vintage lettering, they were from Cooker Tire. I only wish that Lucas made a radial version to the Goodyear tire, in nice sizes! There is a boat being missed, lucky for BF Goodrich!
RARE  Signature Delete

Greg

It all depends on how much driving he will do.  Unless he is into brands and has to have the top tier, Hankook $70ish and Century $50ish are good tires. 

If he is going to put 5-10K a year on the car and drive it year around then look at a tire that has a better all season performance.  In reality, for an occasional pleasure driven car the expensive tires do nothing for you except dent your wallet.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

69 GT350 Vert

I'm going to try the Cooper Cobra Radials next time.  They have a higher speed rating than the BFGs, but not sure if any better or not. 

greekz

I have run BFG T/A's for 25 plus years on my '60's cars and never had a problem rain or shine.  I have to replace them due to age, not wear.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

terlingua11

I am still amazed after all these years that there is not a comparable replacement for the BF Goodrich Comp T/A. That was the ideal tire. It came in 215, 225 and the best rear tire size 235. I have yet to find anything to fill that void. They are still on my 66 and am deftly afraid i'm going to have an issue soon. There needs to be a real good looking tire ( like the Avon ) in appearance and drivability that won't break the bank.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

I found the Coker sidewalls cracked/checked within a year in the SoCal air. They were on my Model T board track car. I was told they were sourced from offshore. Now most of their tires are US made so that problem may be cured.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

JD

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on January 28, 2021, 01:33:32 PM
I found the Coker sidewalls cracked/checked within a year in the SoCal air. They were on my Model T board track car. I was told they were sourced from offshore. Now most of their tires are US made so that problem may be cured.

...is that a tire joke??
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Rbwiii

I put a set of these on my 66. Radials with a old school look.

NC TRACKRAT

An alternative to the Avons would be the Vredestein Sprint Classic in 215/70x15.  Old school look with wet or dry performance.
5S071, 6S1467

Rickmustang

Never heard of that tire. Good specs though. Even have good sizes available.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

Speed Six

Vredestein is a very good tire and highly rated on many classic cars on our side of the Atlantic.
Even better are the Avons - they are highly regarded by the racing fraternity too, especially in the rain.
Goodrich are not that good in any circumstances - helpless, when wet - it can be very wet over here...  ;D ;D