News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Street tire choice

Started by TLea, January 28, 2021, 06:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speed Six

Quote from: Rbwiii on January 28, 2021, 06:33:09 PM
I put a set of these on my 66. Radials with a old school look.

I noticed that Kraus will hand cut the Avons for better wet action.

Fun Fact. Ohio based Cooper Tire owns Avon.

rockhouse66

My thinking is that unless you plan to drive 10K miles per year and in all kinds of weather, the BFGs will do just fine.  And having less $$$ invested in the tires, you won't feel so bad replacing them due to age rather than wear when the time comes.  Diamond Back does a great job improving the looks.  You can get blue line or red line sidewalls and they buff off the factory sidewall lettering.

If going the same size on all 4, those 225s look good, though you might get some scrub on the inside of the wheel well when cornering.

427heaven

Maybe its a regional thing but out on the left coast BFG S are widely accepted because they were around for us back in the day, so there seems to be an allegiance to them as an acceptable upgrade. Anyone that runs COOPERS at car shows seems to get the smirk and finger pointing, like the guy that shows up with his AMC PACER. Nothing wrong with either car or tires just not accepted... Maybe different at other regions around the US ?

shelbydoug

Tires are like camshafts. No one is going to agree.

The best story I can tell is that at one point I was looking for a nice winter tire for my Taurus SHO.

I read a review of a tire, which shall remain nameless but the review essentially was: "best ice and snow tire I ever had. I've got 200 miles on them and they are exceptional."

Fine you might say. What's wrong with that? OK, here's what. The guy who was reviewing the tires was in Miami FLORIDA. It was late July and the tires were two weeks old.

Is there a lot of ice and snow going to the beach then? Maybe the tires were on the Zamboni at the Miami Ice Rink?

Look. You want to pay for W rated tires fine? You can overdrive any tire under any conditions. If you want the fantacy of the tire sticking so well at 200mph upside down through the tunnel stick to video games. You simply do not belong out in the real world, or should I say reel world?

Those wheels on a 65 are really the wrong way to go to get good rubber sizes on that car. The offset is a 1/2" the wrong way and remember on the R models they needed to cut the lips off of the fenders for clearance on those skinny original blue streaks.

Me living in the past? Common?  Panteras, Shelbys? Nah, not me. ::)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Tires, camshaft and EARL.....whats the best EARL for ma caa,don't get me started

Quote from: shelbydoug on January 29, 2021, 09:36:25 AM
Tires are like camshafts. No one is going to agree.

The best story I can tell is that at one point I was looking for a nice winter tire for my Taurus SHO.

I read a review of a tire, which shall remain nameless but the review essentially was: "best ice and snow tire I ever had. I've got 200 miles on them and they are exceptional."

Fine you might say. What's wrong with that? OK, here's what. The guy who was reviewing the tires was in Miami FLORIDA. It was late July and the tires were two weeks old.

Is there a lot of ice and snow going to the beach then? Maybe the tires were on the Zamboni at the Miami Ice Rink?

Look. You want to pay for W rated tires fine? You can overdrive any tire under any conditions. If you want the fantacy of the tire sticking so well at 200mph upside down through the tunnel stick to video games. You simply do not belong out in the real world, or should I say reel world?

Those wheels on a 65 are really the wrong way to go to get good rubber sizes on that car. The offset is a 1/2" the wrong way and remember on the R models they needed to cut the lips off of the fenders for clearance on those skinny original blue streaks.

Me living in the past? Common?  Panteras, Shelbys? Nah, not me. ::)
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350hr

BFG is owned by Michelin now. I use Cooper Cobras on street cars but my GT350 rolls on Goodyear drag tires. LOL
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

terlingua11

Speed Six I'd love to see a couple of images of your car from the back with the 225's. I've wanted to go with the Avons, but really wanted a 235 for the back. I'd love to see it fro the back. Are your fenders rolled in front?

SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

6s1802

I wanted the look and size of a Blue Dot in a radial. I'm running Mastercraft AS IV 215/75/15 radials on 15x7 Americans. They have a very plain sidewall on the black side and really fill up the wheel wells. They are not a performance tire so lapping Willow Springs on these things is not recommended but they look great.

Speed Six

Quote from: terlingua11 on January 29, 2021, 11:19:21 AM
Speed Six I'd love to see a couple of images of your car from the back with the 225's. I've wanted to go with the Avons, but really wanted a 235 for the back. I'd love to see it fro the back. Are your fenders rolled in front?

Fenders are rolled, yes, front and rear. It is a bit too low in the back for my taste, but will get new springs soon. It has been prepared by a former owner - there is a lot of room in the back - I will try 245/60 Avons, have a pair lying around... 8)
Only have a side rear view at the moment, sorry.

Speed Six

Found another one - still with bumper when fresh delivered. :)
There should be room for 245s, possibly on 8x15. We will see.

Quote from: Speed Six on January 29, 2021, 01:25:53 PM
Quote from: terlingua11 on January 29, 2021, 11:19:21 AM

Fenders are rolled, yes, front and rear. It is a bit too low in the back for my taste, but will get new springs soon. It has been prepared by a former owner - there is a lot of room in the back - I will try 245/60 Avons, have a pair lying around... 8)
Only have a side rear view at the moment, sorry.

Fantastic. Please share a pic when you put the 245's on.

terlingua11

+1 on the 245's!
Thanks for the shots-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

dangcarnut

the 245 60 15 will fit but I would use the 7x15 torg because they have a 3.75 backspace. the 8x15 torq have a 4.5 backspace and will bring your tire too far in. the 245's are also and inch taller than the 225's so they will fill up that wheel well up pretty good.