Author Topic: Replacing your door glass. Stainless and frame removal/installation  (Read 625 times)

hurlbird

• View Profile
I thought I would provide details on the removal and installation of the stainless surround and the bottom frame when replacing your door glass. This would have been a big help to me so here you go! If you are going to polish the stainless leave it in the old window as the glass will provide the needed rigidity.

Removal
1.   Heat the stainless and frame with a heat gun get it good and hot and let it sit for about 10 mins to soften the glass setting tape
2.   Remove the two small Phillips screws CAREFULLY from the vertical run. You do not want to strip them
3.   Get a hardwood 1x1 block and begin tapping the stainless away from the glass. Do this universally around the glass. You do no want edge to lift faster or higher than the other as you can separate the corner joint. Also tap the vertical lower edge of the stainless to lift it up and off not just horizontally.
4.   Heat some more if not moving and be patient with the stainless removal process. Once off go to the lower frame. Same process but you can be more aggressive.

Installation
Order your glass setting tape. I used 1/16 x 1.5” tape. Worked perfect.
1.   Make sure the glass edges are clean.
2.   Start with stainless edge first
3.   Cut you tape to length. Fold in half.
4.   Snuggly fit tape (which is not sticky) over the glass edge. Hold in place with black electrical tape pieces. I used 3 one in the middle and another at each end. The tape is used perpendicular to the window setting tape not parallel.
5.   Carefully cut the corner so the tape lays flat nice 90 degree +/-. No bumps allowed.
6.   Wipe the window setting tape with kerosene or lamp oil to activate it and makes it lubricated
7.   Using a rubber mallet tape the stainless on. Start with the vertical side and get the corner secured first. I also used long wood clamps to slowly press the horizonal run in place.
8.   Ensure the stainless is firmly against the glass and then trim excess (both tapes) with a razor.
9.   Now prepare the horizontal lower frame for installation
10.   The left side of the frame will slide up the stainless channel. Therefore, I sanded the left leading edge to remove rust or any debris and lubricated it with the kerosene.
11.   Cut your setting tape length and fold in half as described above. Again firmly drape over the glass and hold in pace with black electrical tape. 3 vertical pieces as above.
12.   Now begin to slide the frame up the stainless channel and look to align the frame with the screw holes.
13.   As you get close to alignment wipe the setting tape with kerosene.
14.   Put a punch through the stainless screw holes and into the frame screw holes.
15.   Tape frame onto glass and set firmly. Check the punch it should be perfectly aligned to accept the screws. If not you have more tapping to do.
16.   Install screws and using your mallet tap all edges until you are certain the frame and stainless have bottomed out on the glass.
17.   Using razor blade remove the electrical tape strips. You won’t have any setting tape excess for the frame as the 1.5” fits perfectly.
18.    Done   ;D