News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Reference Book That Every Vintage Shelby Enthusiast Can Benefit From

Started by Bob Gaines, January 29, 2021, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

It has been talked about before but bears repeating .There are questions all the time on this forum in regards to historical facts about 65-68 289/302 engines. In a effort to help preserve the historical heritage of the Shelby Marque among other things I am glad to be help answer question for folks about engine details but this book is the bible on the subject.  Mustang & Ford Small Block V8: 1962-1969 . I can't give it enough praise for the historical detail information it contains . I have referenced it more times then I care to count and I still glean information from it frequently. This reference book along with shop manuals and assemblyline manuals should be in every enthusiasts collection that is concerned about how the cars were originally built. Also least I forget the author Bob Mannel is great guy besides being a genius IMO.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Dan Case

Quote from: CharlesTurner on January 29, 2021, 01:10:12 PM
+1, great resource.  Believe there is also a pdf version.

Correct Charles. I bought a online subscription. The online version is much more up to date (chapters get revisions too sometimes) and for me is easier to pull up my digital copy that go get the hard copy. I use the chapter on carburetors a lot. I suggest that every Cobra owner get the hard copy as a minimum and or better yet subscribe to the online version.

A subscription to the digital files means you get access to the files online and you can download what you are interested in.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Rukiddin

When I first got my copy I could hardly believe the information within! The amount of time it took must be amazing. I refer to it for many details. If you don't have a copy....GET ONE !

silverton_ford

Rodster-500

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 29, 2021, 01:06:58 PM
It has been talked about before but bears repeating .There are questions all the time on this forum in regards to historical facts about 65-68 289/302 engines. In a effort to help preserve the historical heritage of the Shelby Marque among other things I am glad to be help answer question for folks about engine details but this book is the bible on the subject.  Mustang & Ford Small Block V8: 1962-1969 . I can't give it enough praise for the historical detail information it contains . I have referenced it more times then I care to count and I still glean information from it frequently. This reference book along with shop manuals and assemblyline manuals should be in every enthusiasts collection that is concerned about how the cars were originally built. Also least I forget the author Bob Mannel is great guy besides being a genius IMO.

+1   

Even if you are not super concerned about how cars were originally built, you can learn a lot about what to look for and the differences between the same parts.  A must for a SBF owner/enthusiast.   

He continues to share his knowledge and his amazing skills on the Fairlane Club of America site. Worth a membership to follow along on his builds.  ;)

shelbymann1970

Thanks Bob. I never knew a book like that existed. I got "how to rebuild your SB Ford" book(decades ago) but not a detail one like this. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Corey Bowcutt

Quote from: silverton_ford on January 29, 2021, 03:37:48 PM
Here is where you order a copy.  Great book.  I have one too. - https://fordsmallblock.com/

Thank you for listing this web site.  I first went to Amazon and it was $118.  Here it is $39 and you get both the book and the PDF.

Corey

Rodster-500

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on January 29, 2021, 04:10:38 PM
Here is where you order a copy.  Great book.  I have one too. - https://fordsmallblock.com/

Thank you for listing this web site.  I first went to Amazon and it was $118.  Here it is $39 and you get both the book and the PDF.

Corey

The fordsmallblock site is has some good information about the book and Bob too.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on January 29, 2021, 01:44:57 PM
Anything comparable for fe motors?

Yes I recommend "How to rebuild a boat anchor" by Captain E Hemingway....lol
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

FL SAAC

Excellent print

Quote from: Bob Gaines on January 29, 2021, 01:06:58 PM

I have all UNGOLD cars

Quote from: FL SAAC on January 29, 2021, 04:30:49 PM

.   I would sooner ask that cat about "How to clean a shotgun".........

FL SAAC

Quote from: 557 on January 29, 2021, 05:10:57 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC on January 29, 2021, 04:30:49 PM

.   I would sooner ask that cat about "How to clean a shotgun".........

"I drink to make other people more interesting "
Cheers !
Admiral Ernesto Von Hemingway

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on January 29, 2021, 04:10:38 PM

Corey
Amazon..... I went to buy the Kar Kraft book there a few weeks ago. Got it cheaper from Summit Racing. Amazon is a crapshoot for low prices on many things. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)