News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Reference Book That Every Vintage Shelby Enthusiast Can Benefit From

Started by Bob Gaines, January 29, 2021, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 557 on January 29, 2021, 01:44:57 PM
Anything comparable for fe motors?
There is one that was out there for "69"s  http://www.sunbunnybrown.com/detailshop/manual/
The book  is from the same author of the prior link  https://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Cobra-Engine-Reference-Manual/dp/0976747200
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

camp upshur

Bob and I were both Naval Aviators based at the same base (NAS Pt Mugu), at the same time, waaay back in another dimension, although we did not know one another at the time (he being USN, I USMC). My 65 GT-350 was my primary car on-base then.
Years later, totally unrelated, while talking shop with him on SBF Ford trivia, we bumbled onto to this and I was finally able to say: 'so you're the oddball who had that hiPo 63 Fairlane with full skirts!!).
Neat guy. He is REALLY into it.

Rodster-500

Quote from: camp upshur on January 29, 2021, 05:48:55 PM
Bob and I were both Naval Aviators based at the same base (NAS Pt Mugu), at the same time, waaay back in another dimension, although we did not know one another at the time (he being USN, I USMC). My 65 GT-350 was my primary car on-base then.
Years later, totally unrelated, while talking shop with him on SBF Ford trivia, we bumbled onto to this and I was finally able to say: 'so you're the oddball who had that hiPo 63 Fairlane with full skirts!!).
Neat guy. He is REALLY into it.

Now that is cool.  8)

Side-Oilers

Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

bobmannel

I wish to thank all who ordered my book recently. Getting the word out really helps. As mentioned, I am a first-generation intermediate Fairlane (1962-65) enthusiast, but have owned Comets and a Mustang and enjoyed my friend's Falcon Sprints over the years. I am currently restoring a 1963 Fairlane 500 4-door sedan that came from the factory with the 289 HiPo and 3-speed column shift (the only year the 3-speed was available with the K-code). The 3-speed is a 63 Galaxie big-block unit with a new input shaft for the small-block's deeper bellhousing. I only know of two 63 4-door K-codes and this is the only survivor of the two. How I came to do the book was largely because of the 289 HiPo. But, the story is one of evolution beginning with the 221 V8 (the engine Shelby first did his engine fits in the Cobra, and the engine in my first car -- a 62 Fairlane) and pretty much ends with big-block power taking over, leaving the small block as the daily workhorse.

The book was completed in 1997, before the internet really came into its own. Just because the book was done, I was not satisfied. I am learning all the time. So, some years back I decided to include additional information and fix mistakes. Each chapter got supplemented, the high performance appendix was greatly expanded, and I included all the Ford original part numbers. With the advancement of the internet and Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF), a digital version was the answer. Furthermore, updates could continue by uploading new individual PDFs. Anyone purchasing a digital version creates an account that allows updating of the PDFs at any time. The first page of my website has a list of the changes for each affected PDF. And, the PDFs have been designed for quick linking to all areas in this version.

Time does not allow me to review each of the forums I might like to, so I remain very active with the Fairlane Club 1962-65 forums as that is where I can contribute my experiences and knowledge about the whole car and not just the engine. However, I am always available through email about specific questions, although I will not always have the answer.

CSX2259

GREAT reference book! If you are into 289 hipo engines this is the #1 book you need on your book shelf!

KerryBWhite

gt350hr

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on January 29, 2021, 04:01:55 PM
Thanks Bob. I never knew a book like that existed. I got "how to rebuild your SB Ford" book(decades ago) but not a detail one like this. Gary

I helped with that one Gary , but there is NO comparison to Bob Mannels encyclopedia!
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.