Author Topic: 1969 Shelby Radio Antenna Location  (Read 2599 times)

nightmist67

• View Profile
1969 Shelby Radio Antenna Location
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
Although it's understood that the radio antenna on 1969 Shelbys was specified to be installed on the driver's side rear quarter panel, mine is installed on the passenger side.  There is no evidence that the driver's side rear quarter panel has been replaced or that a hole in the driver's side rear quarter panel for the antenna had been filled to relocate the antenna to the passenger side rear quarter panel.  Are there any other examples of the antenna being installed in such a manner?  If so, how common was this occurrence?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Shelby Radio Antenna Location
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
Although it's understood that the radio antenna on 1969 Shelbys was specified to be installed on the driver's side rear quarter panel, mine is installed on the passenger side.  There is no evidence that the driver's side rear quarter panel has been replaced or that a hole in the driver's side rear quarter panel for the antenna had been filled to relocate the antenna to the passenger side rear quarter panel.  Are there any other examples of the antenna being installed in such a manner?  If so, how common was this occurrence?
I have never seen a 69/70 antenna installed on the passenger side rear.I haven't heard tell of others on that side ether. There may be some that were out there . At the very least it was rarely done. The antenna is equal distant away from the engine regardless of which side.  Ignition noise escaping through the non shielded all fiberglass hood is the main reason the antennas are installed in the back so there is no advantage to install it on the passenger side. Since it was dealer installed I could only explain it as a dealers choice. Why a dealer would choose from deviating from the factory engineered position is anyone's guess. The simplest reason would be he didn't know any better. I would suggest documenting with pictures showing no repairs on the driver side inner quarter and maybe keeping them handy to help mitigate any questions which you will be surely asked by informed Shelby owners. That type of reasonable documentation is what is expected for a out of the ordinary placement if showing the car in concours. It may help with questions in a non show setting too hopefully.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:54:38 PM »
I have a 69 shelby antenna template where the dealer was supposed to lay it out on top of LH rear quarter panel to mark the  antenna hole to be drilled when the dealer installed it.  Also the rear long cable was long enought to route to the rear LH side to screw into the pm-300 antenna.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
I had a 68Shelby  that had it mounted in the wrong place-front fender. There are others from my selling dealer the same way(found cars took pics) and the car had its original quarters and fenders on it. One thing would be is it could be possible some other 69 Shelbys  from that same selling dealer could have been done that way. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 08:16:15 AM »
The 1968 antenna mount was left to the dealers. I would not consider a front fender mounting location wrong, just different and not what was expected.

On a 1969, I think it happened a lot less frequently because of the fiberglass front fenders
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:11:30 AM by Coralsnake »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 12:08:26 PM »
The front fender antenna mount 68 Shelby's I have always seen were very early production cars. I have always figured that there must have been a directive shortly after production started to mount in the rear to minimize AM radio static which would explain the front mount vs rear on 68. Just my take on the situation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »
Let me help you Mr. Gaines.... ;)

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/McCollum

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 02:35:45 PM »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 03:36:15 PM »
The front fender antenna mount 68 Shelby's I have always seen were very early production cars. I have always figured that there must have been a directive shortly after production started to mount in the rear to minimize AM radio static which would explain the front mount vs rear on 68. Just my take on the situation.
And Bob, Trust me, my 68 was a January car with the original fenders and rear quarters on it with a front mounted antenna and found a few more local cars sold from Stark Hickey that were like mine. I am well versed enough to know factory installed quarters and date coded Fenders(no side holes up front but the 3 for the Shelby emblem and the ones for the lower rocker molding). 68 Mustangs all had at least some type of holes in their fenders with Shelbys being Shelby specific(on GT350 and 500 cars) and mine met the criteria. My 68 was a really original car-sheet metal wise.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
My early 69 Shelby convertible's antenna was installed too far forward, and the long shaft in the trunk hits the wheel housing.  That forces the antenna to sit cock eyed.  It bugs me, but it is too hard to fix it. 

Dan353

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 03:50:20 PM »
What is the proper way to mount the antenna.  Should it be mounted straight up or should it angle toward the rear of the car I have seen them both ways.

Thanks Dan

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
What is the proper way to mount the antenna.  Should it be mounted straight up or should it angle toward the rear of the car I have seen them both ways.

Thanks Dan
You have seen them both ways because it is dealer installed and varied . As Ed mentioned there was a template but apparently many installation workers took liberties. In concours the expectation is straight or slightly slanted rearward.  A very extreme rearward angle is not typical.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
FYI Chris Browns Restorations has reproduced the hardware needed for the mast installation.