News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

opinion needed on a 66 Shelby colour

Started by usapony, January 21, 2018, 12:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usapony

Hi Guys just wanted to know opinions on colours for 1966 , how popular is the colour ivy green in a 1966 shelby and is it a rare colour i wouldn't want to change the original colour of a Shelby as i think it could de value it , ivy green is the real colour of the car but just worried its not a popular colour and may effect its value , like Lime Gold in 67 were alot of people change the colour as Lime Gold isnt every ones choice ?

can maybe someone out there that is heavily involved in Shelbys give me there advise please , Thanks

Bob Gaines

Quote from: usapony on January 21, 2018, 12:12:04 AM
Hi Guys just wanted to know opinions on colours for 1966 , how popular is the colour ivy green in a 1966 shelby and is it a rare colour i wouldn't want to change the original colour of a Shelby as i think it could de value it , ivy green is the real colour of the car but just worried its not a popular colour and may effect its value , like Lime Gold in 67 were alot of people change the colour as Lime Gold isnt every ones choice ?

can maybe someone out there that is heavily involved in Shelbys give me there advise please , Thanks
I have been as my signature at the bottom indicates for over 30 years . It is much longer if you count when I bought my first Shelby in 1973. The 66 green is a less popular color . It is more popular then 67 Lime Green however. I don't think the 66 green substantially de values a real Shelby just lessons the amount of buyers that are interested. A color change on the other hand would substantially devalue a real Shelby. A tribute,cloan or whatever not so much IMO.  If a real Shelby then I think it would be foolish to color change it from a investment stand point. If you don't care about the value of a legitimate Shelby or if a clone then then paint it the color you want. Just my opinion. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

There are some that would not have any color other than white and there are those who would never have one that was automatic but each car is different and brings with it the positives and negatives of past choices, its history and its original make up. 

Green 66's are different from the Lime Green 67 you choose to compare with. In 66 few green cars were built  while Lime Green in 67 was pretty popular. Rarity and or what was popular in the last doesn't guide value nor always popularity today or tomorrow.

Believe condition and history play a bigger part for many than just exterior color. But every car is different as is the situation.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

ITHERTZ

I think Ivy Green is beautiful on a Shelby or Mustang.  I'm biased, though.  Truth be told, I think green is making a huge popularity come back as of late.
Was your GT350 originally equipped with stripes?  Either way, Ivy Green is very nice - as is Highland and Dark Moss green (:

EdwardGT350

1966 GT350 6s1761

Absolutely love Ivy Green.  😎

For me, Lime Gold is beautiful if new, and is one of the few colors I absolutely prefer with Stripes.

chris NOS

Ivy green is a nice color , if it came like this originally  don't change it ! there is enough 66 for sale in different colours to choose from , better wait the one you like the most if green is a problem .

SFM6S087

I don't think there is a bad factory color for a 1966 GT350. They are all beautiful in their own way. I'm partial to blue/white, but have to say that an ivy green '66 is a stunning car – especially when viewed in person. I'd love to own one.

Be true to yourself on this one. If you personally don't like green, then don't by a green car. But if you do like green, don't let detractors keep you from the color you want.

Steve

pchmotoho

Look hard and you will find one.  Theres enough of them out there where you will be able to find one that you want if you take your time.  If you bought something that you could "learn to live with" per Murphy's law two weeks later you will come across your perfect car the next week within 200 miles of your house. 

papa scoops

+1 for ivy, if that is the original color. if you want red, buy a red car. go green. mine is. phred

SFM6S1348

Quote from: papa scoops on January 23, 2018, 11:24:08 AM
+1 for ivy, if that is the original color. if you want red, buy a red car. go green. mine is. phred

I have always been a red car guy but my 1348 is Green and I love it. How many were made?

Les 1348

...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

6s1139

agree with above, common sense would dictate that colour ideally equals original (just based on what most people would want)

Mine was originally Ivy but was painted black in the 80's - love the black/gold but eventually she will need to go under the knife and back to original

cheers

Don Johnston

Ivy green with white stripes (or H model gold) is a keeper.  White car with green stripes is not!  8)

To me ivy green looks dope with white lemans stripes..It's the contrast..Also looks good with gold(if a hertz car)just not quite as good as with white(less contrast)To me it looks too plain without stripes..That being said if it's an original car I would lean towards getting it exactly as it was produced..However in this case you can question the source as my originally unstriped  white 67 is now black/gold 66 hertz colors with lemans stripes ... ::). Trent

greekz

When looking for another Shelby in the early 1990's red or white was the first preference, but I ended up with an Ivy Green.  The picture speaks for itself.

SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339