News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Checkered Flag: Bill Neale

Started by computerworks, February 01, 2021, 01:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

computerworks

Our community lost another one to the ages ...Bill Neale passed away at he age of 95

Gray beards know him well... new folks may sure recognize his artwork and may have not known his name.

Our friends at Shelby American posted a nice article on Bill... I thought I would reproduce it here....

Everyone at Shelby is celebrating the life of Texan Bill Neale who passed away at the age of 95.
A founding member the "Terlingua Rat Pack," alongside Carroll Shelby, Bill was one of the most beloved individuals in our community.
Inspired by an uncle who was a fighter pilot in the Flying Tigers, he became a Navy flyer in WWII.
Bill flew in combat over the Pacific and witnessed the signing of surrender documents in Tokyo bay.

Bill was a successful businessman, leading advertising programs for high profile clients.
A founding member of the prestigious Automotive Fine Arts Society, he was an internationally acclaimed automotive artist.
His artwork has been the centerpiece of many collections, appearing on everything from racing and event posters to corporate promotional pieces.
Bill was adored by both the everyman and celebrities ranging from Phil Hill and Dan Gurney to Jim Hall and Peter Brock.
A close ally of Carroll Shelby for decades, Bill was with him at Le Mans in '59 and told stories of Carroll at the 2012 Petersen Tribute.

Bill helped Shelby establish the legendary Terlingua Chili Cookoffs and most famously, designed the Terlingua Racing Team livery.
The "Gawdawful Yellow" and "Rabbit" crest was found on championship racecars driven by Jerry Titus, as well as a limited-edition series of Terlingua Cobras and Shelby cars.
Carroll asked him to create logos for the Carroll Shelby Foundation, which are still used by the charity today.

There are far too many aspects of the man to fairly summarize. He loved jazz, dogs and sports of all types, especially motorsports.
Bill owned and raced many performance cars, enjoyed road trips, was a veteran chili cookoff judge, and most of all, loved his wife and kids.
Bill was the consummate storyteller with a great sense of humor; he often declared that his biggest disappointment in life was never meeting a moose.
Bill was a quiet champion of the overlooked.
He tirelessly nurtured young people to reach their potential, whether it be with a paintbrush or in a business meeting.
It is impossible to estimate the number of individuals whom he helped become a success.

Those who were not fortunate enough to know the Texan will most likely remember him for his artwork and friendship with Shelby.
Those who did, know that he made the world a much, much better place.

He came from humble roots and crafted a life worth living. His legacy will live on through his art, the cars he was involved in and most of all, those he touched.
Each time you hear the rumble of a performance car or see a Shelby Terlingua car at speed, smile and think of Bill Neale. We will.

You can learn a bit more about the life of this incredible man at https://bit.ly/3ji8PUl

alexgt350h

RIP Bill, a very good person has left this earth!

Hell of an artist. One of the few automotive artists that completely understood verisimilitude.

propayne

I'm heart broken - great painter and graphic designer.

One of my heroes....

- Phillip
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

Bob Gaines

I am a better person for knowing him. RIP Bill .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

Godspeed, Bill!!!  You will be missed by many, many people.  Love and prayers to his family and close friends.

CSX 4133

Yet another piece of Shelby history and lore passes into history. RIP Bill Neale.

texas swede

R.I.P. Bill,
Got to know you more than 30 years ago and you were a very good and gentle man,
A painting of Shelby made by you is hanging over our fire place.
Will miss you.
Texas Swede

98SVT - was 06GT

He was at the first art show they held at a SAAC convention. I bought this little print from him. He said it was one he had sent to Shelby for approval and Shelby sent if back to him while cleaning out before he got on the waiting for a heart. Later I wrote to him and asked if he would sign it. He sent a nice note back but I never sent it to him. I think the "race team" office where you wrote to for decals and membership was his Dallas office.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Chad

Wow 95, that is awesome!  That man saw it all!!  RIP!

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Harris Speedster

I enjoyed talking with and doing business with Bill.
He was one of a kind and Shelby was blessed to have had a long time friend like Bill.
I found and sold a 67 gt 350 red Shelby to Bill, he traded me one of his original painting of the Shelby that just sold for over 4 million.
Shelby's Pony is how Bill entitled the artwork.

Bills friendship led to another great friendship, Chris Schinkle ?> sp, which told him to get in touch with me at a BBQ at Shelby's place.
that led to Chris buying a Sunbeam Tiger from me. Chris was the main commentator for ABC Wide Sports World on TV for decades.
Bill was an outstanding man.
My condolences to his daughter and the rest of his family.
RIP Bill
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Side-Oilers

Another fine man from the CS era drives off, forever gone.   

RIP, Bill.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

CSX2259

RIP Bill, I didn't get the chance to meet you but I did admire your work. From the comment left here you must have been a swell guy.

Rocket

RIP Bill, I didn't really know him, but met him at the Shelby Museum one year.  Ron
Original owner of 6S550. Owned since 1967. 64,000 Miles, all body original except hood and front valance. All glass original except windshield. Still has aluminum 4 speed. Has replacement Mico.  Also own 1966 Mustang convertible. They are drivers, not trailer queens.