News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

65 drive shaft loop question

Started by DRGT350, February 01, 2021, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRGT350

I read on vintage mustang forums that the drive shaft loop attached to the seat belt bolts ( first picture of a 65 I used to own - mid 300 sn) ;  second picture shows same area with holes where mine was attached on the car we are putting back together # 296.,,

Which is correct ?

Thanks in advance ( hope this wasn't a question I should have asked a long time ago !)

Dave

J_Speegle

Think you will find that the holes in the bottom picture show an car where those holes were made to hold the exhaust system in place behind the muffler.

NOTE: edited to add a picture to illustrate

Red and green arrows to point the items out

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

mygt350

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

DRGT350

Thanks Jeff,

Are the holes "correct" to be there to hold the exhaust? In the top picture the exhaust is indeed hanging from holes in a similar spot, 

Or should we repair the holes and hang the exhaust near the pinch weld area like I've seen on other cars?

Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DRGT350 on February 01, 2021, 09:51:19 PM
Thanks Jeff,

Are the holes "correct" to be there to hold the exhaust? In the top picture the exhaust is indeed hanging from holes in a similar spot, 

Or should we repair the holes and hang the exhaust near the pinch weld area like I've seen on other cars?

Dave
The extra holes are correct and put there by SA to hold the exhaust in that area. Earlier cars didn't have the holes your car would be typical. With out that support the pipe will droop in that location. You will also use the hanger near the pinch weld and front leaf spring eye. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DRGT350

Much thanks Bob and Jeff.

Is there a source for the interior hanger for the exhaust ? Looks like in the top picture just a cut up piece (s) of a regular dual exhaust car ?

Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DRGT350 on February 01, 2021, 10:03:22 PM
Much thanks Bob and Jeff.

Is there a source for the interior hanger for the exhaust ? Looks like in the top picture just a cut up piece (s) of a regular dual exhaust car ?

Dave
Find the picture that Shelby produced with the exhaust all laid out. You should be able to enlarge it enough to distinguish the floor pan attached hangers in the picture. The last time I bought them I was readily able to find them at my Napa warehouse identical to as in the picture. That was a couple years ago. I hope you have the same good luck.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

DRGT350

Thanks Bob- I'll look at Napa
Appreciate all your help and knowledge !

And thanks again Jeff for picture too-

mygt350

Bob
You mentioned earlier cars did not have the hanger to keep pipes from sagging. Any general number when SA started including the hangers? I don't remember 5S228 having the hangers, but its been quite while since I have been under it...

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mygt350 on February 01, 2021, 10:18:21 PM
Bob
You mentioned earlier cars did not have the hanger to keep pipes from sagging. Any general number when SA started including the hangers? I don't remember 5S228 having the hangers, but its been quite while since I have been under it...
If you don't have the holes and the floor pans haven't been messed with it is a good indication your car was prior to the addition of the hangers. For a earlier car that didn't have the hangers I would suggest getting the pipe in the proper orientation and then having the pipe welded but still use the clamp at the joint to disguise the weld.

mygt350

Original pans. Will try to get my fat butt under there and see if it has the holes or not. After having 5S228 for 54 years, would think I knew where every hole was and why it was there....

5S297

#297 doesn't have the extra exhaust hangers. floor pans have never been messed with. must have been an on off thing.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 5S297 on February 01, 2021, 11:22:28 PM
#297 doesn't have the extra exhaust hangers. floor pans have never been messed with. must have been an on off thing.
297 would have typically been in range of cars that got the extra support . A little strange given cars before that have been reported to have had it . Hard to say.

J_Speegle

Of course not all the cars were converted to Shelby's or made it through the process always in consecutive order 

Non-original owners can always check the main floor stamping date and for signs of repair and or replacement if they want to look or confirm
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

DRGT350

I found a better picture of the exhaust attachment  fir information regarding the exhaust attachment

Dave