News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Engine well firewall insulation/sealant 69 GT350 build date 1-9-69 In Dearborn

Started by SChatman, April 03, 2018, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

Question on the firewall sealant/insulation, does the spray on sealant go on after everything is bolted on to the firewall to seal the pass through's and any place that might leak air from the engine well? I saw a Shelby of my year that had overspray on the heater hoses, brake lines, Vacum hoses and pretty much everything on the firewall but this car had been restored and I'm not sure it was accurate.
Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on April 03, 2018, 06:18:23 PM
Question on the firewall sealant/insulation, does the spray on sealant go on after everything is bolted on to the firewall to seal the pass through's and any place that might leak air from the engine well? I saw a Shelby of my year that had overspray on the heater hoses, brake lines, Vacum hoses and pretty much everything on the firewall but this car had been restored and I'm not sure it was accurate.
Thanks in advance.
Yes it was done after all of the things you mentioned were done. A couple things that you didn't mention was around wiring harness and power break booster. Basically everything that comes through the firewall is sealed . The ground wire to the engine head was added to the firewall after the sealer was done. It needs to be done before the engine is installed
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on April 03, 2018, 07:01:43 PM
Basically everything that comes through the firewall is sealed . The ground wire to the engine head was added to the firewall after the sealer was done. It needs to be done before the engine is installed

+1 Typically we find the passenger side with a heavier and larger application when compared to the drivers side likely due to a more limited amount of space to get the wand in and around things

Here are some original examples from around your cars production period - Hope this helps

Ignore a few prior owner added wiring ::)

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Ldouble619

aj

Is there a preferred insulation/sealer product that folks are using to spray the firewall per the application discussed in this thread ?