News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

69 GT350 Correct date codes for spare tire, inflator bottle and Jack

Started by SChatman, February 02, 2021, 08:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

Is it a deduction for not having the correct date coded spare tire, inflator bottle and Jack? I'm trying to get everything I can correct but having difficulty finding these items for a 1-9-69 build date. 

J_Speegle

Remember that not all class require "dated" parts for the class. Chances are that your aiming for a concours class where correct or "acceptable" dating of parts is not taken into account.

That  would be a personal choice but often appreciated or something an owner would be proud of and of course since you have to purchase the part anyway many add the "right date code" into the mix while searching
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

To add to the response unlike your space saver not all jacks were dated 67-70 Shelby unlike what has been written in places . The same goes with the inflator bottle. On those two items you should be concerned about their appearance as there were different style jacks that were more typical to specific assembly plants . The same goes with different style inflator bottles depending on when they were manufactured. The reality is that when these items are stored properly it is sometimes difficult if not impossible to see any dates regardless of class. Of course in SAAC premiere or MCA thoroughbred class where correct date codes are scrutinized you had better have the highly visible items like original glass,tires ,batteries ,belts etc inline taken care of otherwise risk of a low score is probable. Although things like correct date codes , original hoses,batteries belts etc do not get you extra points in the class's that allow quality reproduction parts the Judges appreciate the effort. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Bob, are there dates stamped on inflator bottles? It took a long time to find a bottle for my original spare and jack assy(my inflator when the car was bought was a bottle with French written on it). Thanks. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 03, 2021, 06:46:03 AM
Bob, are there dates stamped on inflator bottles? It took a long time to find a bottle for my original spare and jack assy(my inflator when the car was bought was a bottle with French written on it). Thanks. Gary
If they are they are in the extreme minority.I have had close to 100 over the years NOS and used and I have not ever a year ,month ,day date code on one. I haven't seen them all though.  Of course the sticker label engineering number will date a canister to a certain time period. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

I've found a space saver and bottle both look to be in rough shape, is the tire reproduced? And if so is it acceptable to replace it? My build date is 1-9-69 and is a Dearborn build so which Jack, J hook and Jack handle would be correct Bob?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on February 03, 2021, 01:47:04 PM
I've found a space saver and bottle both look to be in rough shape, is the tire reproduced? And if so is it acceptable to replace it? My build date is 1-9-69 and is a Dearborn build so which Jack, J hook and Jack handle would be correct Bob?
Only original space saver spares are available in 7.35 X 14 size. Scott fuller sells exact hold down hardware.

SChatman

Thanks Bob, I see Scott Fuller has the mounting Hardware but nothing about the Jack and handle, do you know which ones the Dearborn plant used? Also, did you mean that someone makes the space saver tire that's acceptable?

J_Speegle

Quote from: SChatman on February 03, 2021, 02:21:26 PM
Thanks Bob, I see Scott Fuller has the mounting Hardware but nothing about the Jack and handle, do you know which ones the Dearborn plant used? Also, did you mean that someone makes the space saver tire that's acceptable?

There are no reproduction space saver tires made at this time. See Bob's reply #7 above ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

SChatman

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 03, 2021, 01:57:45 PM
Only original space saver spares are available in 7.35 X 14 size. Scott fuller sells exact hold down hardware.
Bob, when I was restoring my 70 I thought that "skinny" J hook was some aftermarket crap. I put in the Mustang style steel wheel type and threw my skinny one in a cabinet. When Scott started reproducing the Shelby one I realized my mistake. I'm glad I do not throw out parts-even "aftermarket" parts. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

TOBKOB

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on February 12, 2021, 07:34:58 AM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 03, 2021, 01:57:45 PM
Bob, when I was restoring my 70 I thought that "skinny" J hook was some aftermarket crap. I put in the Mustang style steel wheel type and threw my skinny one in a cabinet. When Scott started reproducing the Shelby one I realized my mistake. I'm glad I do not throw out parts-even "aftermarket" parts. Gary

Never throw away parts...if you do, some day you'll regret it... ;D 
1969 GT350 owned since 1970