Author Topic: NOS 1966 Shelby American horn button for 1st series wheels  (Read 1431 times)

The Black Car

• View Profile
NOS 1966 Shelby American horn button for 1st series wheels
« on: February 04, 2021, 10:39:27 PM »
So I just got this for my 66 1st Series optional wood wheel.  Part number is S2MS-3624-B.

What are they worth these days?   I’m almost embarrassed to admit what I paid for it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:43:41 PM by The Black Car »

6s1640

• View Profile
Re: NOS 1966 Shelby American horn button for 1st series wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »
Hi The Black Car,

Are you hoping a higher price will make you feel better about your purchased?  IIRC, I think I have seen asking prices as high as $800 or so.  That does not mean they sold, but asking.  The emblem you have is more generic and not specific to GT350 or GT500.  That cap will work on the first two 66's as well on the 67 wood wheels.  It will not work on the wheels that were first offered in 1968.

As an aside, there is a real nice repop of that cap out for about $200 with emblems.  The below image is from Virginia Classic Mustang.  Brant offers three different emblems, maybe a forth.  The 66 COBRA emblem had two versions, one with gold and one silver band.  I could only find the one with gold band.   It is believed the gold band came on the first version of the 66 wood wheels and the silver on the second 66 version.  But it likely they also could have been intermixed.  So it is not an absolute.  All the 67 horn buttons have the silver band.

In addition, if anyone has an original horn button missing parts or damage to pieces, the repop makes for a nice donor for replacing missing or damaged parts.

There is also a COUGAR cap for the 67 style wood wheel from West Coast Classic Cougars.

Take care

Cory
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:38:21 AM by 6s1640 »

The Black Car

• View Profile
Re: NOS 1966 Shelby American horn button for 1st series wheels
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply Cory.  I’m just curious as to what other owners experts think on the cost of these.
I paid “market price”, with some advise from more knowledgeable people than I, and actually I was happy just to get it irrespective of its’ cost. So it’s a win for me there!

I thought I’d ask here as well as there are many knowledgeable members here.

I agree that the CS Shelby American logo maybe more “generic”, but I was told it is actually much more rarer than a GT 350 Button, which they sold many more of by comparison.

Aside from that, it looks really good in the wheel and I’m happy with it.

Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:47:00 PM by The Black Car »