News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

68 GT350 fuel pump inlet size

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 06, 2021, 10:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

As I reassemble my fuel lines from the tank to the carb I am finding an issue.  The SST fuel lines and the rubber hose kit I bought are all 3/8".  However the beaded input nipple to the fuel pump appear to be for a 5/16" hose.  I looked at various fuel pumps for sale for a 1968 Mustang with a 302 and they do not list the size of the input nipple.  What size should the fuel pump input nipple be?  And does anyone know what fuel pump I should buy to guarantee I get the 3/8" nipple?

Thank you,  Corey

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 06, 2021, 10:01:48 AM
As I reassemble my fuel lines from the tank to the carb I am finding an issue.  The SST fuel lines and the rubber hose kit I bought are all 3/8".  However the beaded input nipple to the fuel pump appear to be for a 5/16" hose.  I looked at various fuel pumps for sale for a 1968 Mustang with a 302 and they do not list the size of the input nipple.  What size should the fuel pump input nipple be?  And does anyone know what fuel pump I should buy to guarantee I get the 3/8" nipple?

Thank you,  Corey
The inlet nipple on a 68 fuel pump will be 3/8 to match the fuel line coming out of the apron. A 5/16 fuel pump inlet would be on a 67 fuel pump because the fuel line is 5/16 instead of 3/8 on the 68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 06, 2021, 10:16:20 AM
Quote from: Corey Bowcutt on February 06, 2021, 10:01:48 AM

Thank you,  Corey
The inlet nipple on a 68 fuel pump will be 3/8 to match the fuel line coming out of the apron. A 5/16 fuel pump inlet would be on a 67 fuel pump because the fuel line is 5/16 instead of 3/8 on the 68.
It appears that you have a fuel pump meant for a 67 model.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

68gtcoupe

I have a Carter button top fuel pump, restored by Fred Ballard if you need one. Never installed after I got it back from him. 

Terry

Corey Bowcutt