Author Topic: Tire Discussion  (Read 12146 times)

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
typically the (RWL) white lettering is molded-in white rubber - not paint, wiping or grinding-off not an option.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 03:10:26 PM »
The radial Goodyear is a much better tire then the bias ply is but the tread pattern that they use is still the same.

Part of the issue with the bias ply tires is the tread was designed for smoothness and quietness but not much else.

The treads are very similar to the first generation of BFG T/A's which would hydroplane before the rain even got there.

It is strange that the tread rubber is so hard and only gives you 8,000 to 10,000 miles of life at best.

I personally found that I would start to hear the wear warning blocks at about 6,500 miles.

There isn't anything criminally bad about the first generation of the bias "performance" tires it's just that the criteria has changed. There was already technology in existence being used on the race tires but for some reason it was not crossing over to the street tires. Maybe it was the lawyers?

In NYS, annual inspections are and were mandatory. The bias ply was always an issue for that since the inspectors would want to use the warning block height as the wear point and technically you needed more then 25% of tread life left to pass.

The wear blocks would appear right about then at about 3 to 4/32 of tread left.

I also had several that were out of round brand new. Good thing they were pretty, unless you kissed a curb, they weren't good for much else.

I remember the Goodyear's were $125 each and buying Kelly's for $100. There was a department store here called Floyd's. They sold retreads for $25 each. The street racers would buy those and go through a set in a couple of weeks.

When I first saw the Avon's I got a flashback. The treads look the same as the Floyd's retreads. I'm still not convinced so when I see someone with the Avon's, I always ask if "you like them or not?"  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:23:15 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

oldcanuck

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2021, 09:13:05 AM »
Shelbys do not look good with BLACKWALLS, they need some sort of wording. Goodyear is best, but those hard plastic non radial tires are horrible.

+1
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
  Ever notice while watching an auction on TV (either Barret-Jackson, or Mecum) that there are plenty and many cars equipped with BFG's.  You'd think Goodyear would notice that.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2021, 12:45:13 PM »
  Ever notice while watching an auction on TV (either Barret-Jackson, or Mecum) that there are plenty and many cars equipped with BFG's.  You'd think Goodyear would notice that.

+1
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2021, 01:06:25 PM »

At the recent Sebring race Pre grid there was a Goodyear tire engineer making note of who was using what brand of tire.  By and large the big bore cars were using Hoosiers rather than Goodyear and I think he was a little miffed judging by his facial expression.

Regarding using white lettering, I personally prefer an original black wall look, the white lettering didn't become popular till the late 60's (thanks Mickey Thompson) so my Carryover and 66 sport what they were born with. If you prefer the white lettering so be it.

~Steven

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2021, 01:18:34 PM »

In my fantasy world, Goodyear starts putting raised white Goodyear letters on Avons (which they just bought) and selling them to the vintage/Musclecar world.

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
I can make that AVON to GOODYEAR dream a reality.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »

Can you post your contact info again?

Buy from Krause, have shipped to you? Or are you stocking tires?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
;D ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2021, 05:09:26 PM »

+1 and if more means I agree more then +5000000
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2021, 05:13:38 PM »

At the recent Sebring race Pre grid there was a Goodyear tire engineer making note of who was using what brand of tire.  By and large the big bore cars were using Hoosiers rather than Goodyear and I think he was a little miffed judging by his facial expression.

Regarding using white lettering, I personally prefer an original black wall look, the white lettering didn't become popular till the late 60's (thanks Mickey Thompson) so my Carryover and 66 sport what they were born with. If you prefer the white lettering so be it.

~Steven

Yes, I would agree with that also, how they came is how they look the best. 67 on up I feel, need white lettering. 65-66 did not, am I correct on that?
However, if I get lucky enough to acquire a 66, I think I might have to think about that. It can go either way with me....
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2021, 05:18:58 PM »
Everyone is grinning on the, I can make they say Goodyear gig, let talk price.....
4 Avon's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH?
or
4 BF Goodrich's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH??
or
Harry Reid (no name, butcher boy black wall scamp tires) plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. How Much???
RARE  Signature Delete

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2021, 06:15:48 PM »
The cost of 5he lettering conversion with tire shaving is $800, it is a good two to three days worth of work. This price covers any brand of tire not just AVONs. You buy the tires and have them shipped to my door, when we are done they are shipped to your door at your expense.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2021, 07:55:49 PM »
Everyone is grinning on the, I can make they say Goodyear gig, let talk price.....
4 Avon's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH?
or
4 BF Goodrich's plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. HOW MUCH??
or
Harry Reid (no name, butcher boy black wall scamp tires) plus shipping, plus shipping, plus lettering. How Much???

In fairness, BFG's are not in the same performance universe as Avon. Either extreme performance is worth it to you or not. Your choice.