Author Topic: Long shot for Cobra Identity  (Read 8041 times)

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
Re: Long shot for Cobra Identity
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
I'm probably remembering this incorrectly but I thought the story was that Stewart "bought" the car from a used car dealer around 1975 after reading the press that it was "the fastest car ever offered to the public"?

What I remember is that the car was flat bedded to him at his home. When it arrived he jumped in, drove it around the block and said he didn't want it and take it out of here.

At the time and probably still, he was a Porsche 930 guy.

I don't remember the story being tied to the original Ford dealer as a new car purchase?

That was a story revolving around the SOA and might have been before SAAC existed?

Ned. How off am I on this story recounting?

Doug, I think that's pretty much the Bill Cosby story as related on his "200 Miles Per Hour" album.
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »
It does sound suspiciously similar doesn't it?

I need Ned to clear up the story. He's the man. He'll know for sure.

I think that I heard the story I posted from Ken Eber back then? I'm not sure now. It was so long ago? Maybe the story that he had  heard and repeated was plagiarized from Cosby?  :o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:10:49 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2021, 04:01:00 PM »
  One of Rod's "roadies" says he kept until his first divorce. Being mostly on tour , it was hardly driven but did suffer a bit from some DUIs. Don't shoot me I'm just going by what he said.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2021, 04:20:14 PM »
Rod Stewart with Brit Ekland & Cobra. He also had a Mk. 1V lightweight later. The DUI thing is probably right, I have a concert

booklet that show a picture of one of his Lamborghini Countach after a crash, and some one has written in the dirt on the front

"drunk again Stewart"  ;)

Mike

S7MS427

• View Profile
    • S-Tech Enterprises, LLC
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »

I think that I heard the story I posted from Ken Eber back then? I'm not sure now. It was so long ago? Maybe the story that he had  heard and repeated was plagiarized from Cosby?  :o

Doug, Yes, Ned will know for sure.  He gave me my first ride in a Cobra, a 260 powered car IIRC.  His knowledge is amazing.  In any case, Cosby's car and his experience with it is well documented.  Maybe lightning struck twice with Rod Stewart?
Roy Simkins
http://www.S-TechEnt.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »

Doug, Yes, Ned will know for sure.  He gave me my first ride in a Cobra, a 260 powered car IIRC.  His knowledge is amazing.  In any case, Cosby's car and his experience with it is well documented.  Maybe lightning struck twice with Rod Stewart?

No, no. You got the story confused. When he crashed his Lambo, he said it wasn't his fault, he got hit by lightening.  ;)

There was just a recent story in the press locally that he was just arrested in Florida for trying to crash a private party with "his son". His name wasn't on the guest list so he got into it with security and was arrested as a result.

I'll go with your story Randy. "Roadies" always have  a "fly on the wall unknown view" of happenings.
I personally take that with a grain of salt though. One that I know of here, was arrested and convicted, at the felony level, of defrauding seven women.

Amongst other things, he told one that he was a US Navy Admiral, was personal advisor to Mrs. Sikorsky and owned a house in Greenwhich which he tore down because it was lined with asbestos. He would drive them past this empty lot and show them where the house used to be. Oh..."he was a Navy fighter pilot and he crash landed it on the beach".

The last time I saw him, he was out on parole and had just gotten into a fist fight with a "sanitation worker" (garbage man) at the local 'deli'. I don't know if the parole was revoked but as it turns out he was a "roady" and had knowledge of certain celebrities because he had been a "burglar alarm installer" for a few years.

He would start up with me and I'd just say, "yes sir Admiral". Then he'd go to his room and sulk saying something like..."didn't you ever lie to a woman"? I'd think to myself, "hum, I don't think so, but certainly I was never convicted of it"? ;)

Yup. "Roadies" are "colorful" all right. Very "colorful". 8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!