News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

6S2086 - Hemmings

Started by silverton_ford, February 09, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

Not Mine.

6S2086 for sale here: 
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt350/2463977.html

and

https://lupomotors.com/listings/new-inventory-1966-shelby-gt-350-unrestored/

Ad Description:
This 1966 Shelby GT350 is believed to be one of the most original Shelby Mustangs in existence, if not the most original. Serial No. SFM6S2086 was ordered June 27, 1966, and shipped to Stark Hickey Ford of Royal Oak, Michigan, which at the time was Michigan's largest Ford dealer and a hot spot for performance tuning Fords and Shelbys. Stark Hickey was invoiced $3,547 plus $40 for rear seats and a $64.75 freight charge, a grand total of $3,651.75. Records show that the car's oil pan and filter were replaced on November 16, 1966. The car's first recorded owners were Norm and Donna Ruby of Lathrup Village, Michigan, who purchased the car with Shelby 10-spoke aluminum wheels. By approximately 1981 the car had been driven 5,800 miles and was a multiple trophy winner. Subsequent owners of record include Norman B. Marvin of Southfield, Michigan, followed by Steve Posey of Middletown, Ohio. The car placed second in the Concours d'Elegance at SAAC 7 in Great Gorge in 1982. According to the car's Shelby Registry listing, as of June 2010 the car showed just 6,784 miles. At that time, SFM6S2086 was in original and unrestored condition, retaining its original Ivy Green Metallic paint, original black interior, original Shelby 10-spoke wheels and tires, and most importantly, its original Hi-Po 289/306 HP engine, automatic transmission and rear end. Further research has revealed an amazing story about the ownership changing hands. The previous owner first laid eyes on this GT350 at a Shelby Meet in the 1980s where he tried to purchase the car. The owner at the time was not interested in selling his pride and joy quite yet, so the current owner handed him a business card and promised to buy the car if he ever decided to sell it. Incredibly, 30-some years after that Shelby Meet, the owner at the time contacted the previous owner, who immediately made good on his word and acquired the unrestored GT350. Today, SFM6S2086 is alive and well, and as astonishing as it may seem, has been driven just 132 miles since June 2010, adding up to a total of just 6,986 miles. After being purchased at auction in 2018, the car has been well kept by the current owner to maintain its current state.

Unrestored
Believe to be 6,986 original miles
Original drivetrain
HiPo 289 CI engine
Automatic transmission
Original Ivy Green paint
Original Black interior
Original 10 spoke wheels
Sold new at Stark Hickey Ford in Royal Oak, Michigan
Oil pan and filter replaced on November 16, 1966 with 48 miles
Placed 2nd in the concours at SAAC-7 Great Gorge, 1982
Listed in Shelby Registry
Original owner's manual
Original invoice
Original pre-delivery sheet
Original Shelby invoice

Sold at 2018 Mecum Kissimmee for $275,000 (commission included) - https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-322081/1966-shelby-gt350-fastback/

BGlover67

Funny how '66s sure seem to have graduated well into the $200K level.  Gone are the nice $150K Hertz models.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

The key here that sets this one apart and into the + $200k club would be this:

Unrestored
Original drivetrain
HiPo 289 CI engine
Automatic transmission
Original Ivy Green paint
Original Black interior
Original 10 spoke wheels

Again key words original and unrestored, under 7,000 miles

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 09, 2021, 05:08:54 PM
Funny how '66s sure seem to have graduated well into the $200K level.  Gone are the nice $150K Hertz models.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

6s1640

It is curious that it has a service COBRA tach with the pointy tach needle and a 1965 radio (starting with a 6 on the left of the dial).  At that price tag, I'd expect a assembly line tach and the correct year radio.  What am I missing?

Looks like original Blue Streaks with the heavy whether checking on the sidewalls.  Very cool to still have the original tires, but  I would not recommend driving at all before swapping another set of wheels and newer tires onto the car.

Crazy neat survivor car.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory

BGlover67

Quote from: FL SAAC on February 09, 2021, 08:12:28 PM
The key here that sets this one apart and into the + $200k club would be this:

Unrestored
Original drivetrain
HiPo 289 CI engine
Automatic transmission
Original Ivy Green paint
Original Black interior
Original 10 spoke wheels

Again key words original and unrestored, under 7,000 miles

Quote from: BGlover67 on February 09, 2021, 05:08:54 PM

Tony, I agree for this one, but all the others seem to be in the $200K+ club also.  Just an observation.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

s2ms

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 10, 2021, 12:06:57 AM
It is curious that it has a service COBRA tach with the pointy tach needle and a 1965 radio (starting with a 6 on the left of the dial).  At that price tag, I'd expect a assembly line tach and the correct year radio.  What am I missing?

Looks like original Blue Streaks with the heavy whether checking on the sidewalls.  Very cool to still have the original tires, but  I would not recommend driving at all before swapping another set of wheels and newer tires onto the car.

Crazy neat survivor car.

Thanks for sharing.

Cory

Hi Cory,

Was thinking the same about the tach but looked through my notes and found the earliest tach I've seen with the pointy needle was dated 4/28/66. Also found this one dated 5/11/66. The Registry shows 6S2086 was ordered 6/27/66 so assuming the date stamps are legit it could be the original tach.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

6s1640

Hi Dave,

Interesting.  I learned something new.  I always thought the pointy needle tach was strictly service or OTC part.  I agree with your assessment that it is possible the car got the pointy needle tach.

Now, what about the radio?   What am I missing there?  Maybe it was just old inventory when got installed.  The 1965 "5T" radio dials start with the "6" and the "6T" radio dails start with "5" for a wider band.

Last, the car is listed on a popular auction site:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Shelby-GT350/184657493325?hash=item2afe71bd4d:g:ff8AAOSwnL1gIuLa

Thank you

Cory

KR Convertible

I think this is the same car that was previously for sale at Ron's Toy Box in Iowa.  I don't think the price is terrible for such a low mile car, but it's like paying the premium for a low mileage Ford GT and not being able to drive it without decreasing it's value.

silverton_ford

Quote from: KR Convertible on February 10, 2021, 09:37:57 AM
I think this is the same car that was previously for sale at Ron's Toy Box in Iowa.  I don't think the price is terrible for such a low mile car, but it's like paying the premium for a low mileage Ford GT and not being able to drive it without decreasing it's value.

I believe you are right about Ron's Toy Box in Iowa.  I found this youtube video from 2015 - https://youtu.be/IDCAR5eGGjE

outlawincorporated

I also believe this car was on ebay constantly for nearly 2 years at one stage.  it would receive bids and not meet the reserve then be relisted again and again.

maybe it was discussed in version 1 of this forum.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.