News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Antenna Location

Started by tag031, April 05, 2018, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tag031

Most 1967 Shelby GT's I have seen have the radio antenna mounted on the right front fender. However, I have also seen a few 1967 Shelby GT's with the radio antenna mounted on the right rear fender. Was this an option from the Shelby factory or modified by an owner at some point?

JD

Quote from: tag031 on April 05, 2018, 04:57:47 PM
Most 1967 Shelby GT's I have seen have the radio antenna mounted on the right front fender. However, I have also seen a few 1967 Shelby GT's with the radio antenna mounted on the right rear fender. Was this an option from the Shelby factory or modified by an owner at some point?

Right front was the proper location (if you are concerned with judging).  The antennas were shipped in the trunk and installed at the dealer as part of the prep.  There is a template for locating it and drilling the holes. 

(tried to add the template image here but get the "The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator." error message it's only 74kb, I'll try to add it to this post later - Later got it to load but had to load it to my gallery and then figure out how to place it - worked but many more steps and clicks).

Some dealers installed them in other locations either for appearance or to try and remedy the interference issue that were a problem on the '67's because of the hoods.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bossbill

What drill bit or other tool did they use to make the big hole at the dealership?
My pax fender hole is very well done and i don't think a conventional drill bit could do it.
Screw style hole punch?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

TOBKOB

I can't answer for all dealers but at the dealership where I worked starting in 1970 we used an awl to punch the holes through the template, removed the template, and a hole saw to finish. The awl both marked the position and served to start the hole saw withing skidding across the fender or quarter panel.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

papa scoops

as above, we used a hole punch then a 1 1/8 hole saw with a 5/16 starter hole. some of us used a little touch up paint around the hole to prevent rusting. phred

Slamayani

I was probably shocked, but it was a good thing.