News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

original finish on front disc brake calipers

Started by DRGT350, February 11, 2021, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRGT350

What was the original finish on the front disc brake calipers for a 65?

Dave

Bob Gaines

Quote from: DRGT350 on February 11, 2021, 08:29:55 PM
What was the original finish on the front disc brake calipers for a 65?

Dave
Very early cars were cast iron on the inside and the outside . Later cars with deluxe wheels were cast on the inside and plated silver or painted with silver paint on the outside half . Sorry I can't narrow down the dividing line between early and later.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Hi Dave,

Attached is an image of a recently partially restored 66 Mustang front brake caliper.  As you can see the outboard side is the silver as Bob said and the inboard side is a dark finish.  I wish Jim Cowles were here to tell us the exact finishes.  I sent Jim this pair before I heard he was ill and Jes was able to find and send back to me.  (Thank you Jes.  Jim RIP)

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on February 12, 2021, 01:20:15 AM
Hi Dave,

Attached is an image of a recently partially restored 66 Mustang front brake caliper.  As you can see the outboard side is the silver as Bob said and the inboard side is a dark finish.  I wish Jim Cowles were here to tell us the exact finishes.  I sent Jim this pair before I heard he was ill and Jes was able to find and send back to me.  (Thank you Jes.  Jim RIP)

Cory
Zinc gives a comparable look for the plated portions regardless of if it was the original finish or not. Eastwoods aluma blast matches the original ones I have had that were painted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby