Author Topic: 69-70 console top ashtray odor fix  (Read 1422 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69-70 console top ashtray odor fix
« on: February 11, 2021, 11:10:45 PM »
I just wanted to share what I did to fix the order issue with my original ashtray.
The ashtray was is perfect shape from the outside but smelled like...well, an ashtray. I tried several cleaners along with vinegar and alcohol but nothing worked, also it was rusty on the inside. I then thought of Phosphoric Acid because it would get rid of the rust and leave a phosphate coating. I was careful to keep it on the inside and not splash the outside, I filled it up to the light holes in the side which covered the rust completely. I then checked it after 15 minutes to see how it was working by shining a flashlight into it to show how it was working on the rust.
Not much happened so I move my reminders out to every 30 minutes and kept checking it and after 2 hours...all the rust was gone! After a thorough rinse and dry, it looked good and no smell whatsoever! If you have to have have a perfect ashtray inside and out then this doesn’t do you any good but I just wanted it to look good and not smell bad.

SChatman

• View Profile
Re: 69-70 console top ashtray odor fix
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »
That’s the rear ashtray, I’ve seen several people that carry those but none that have the console top ashtray that’s right behind the fog light toggle switches. Since I used the acid, my ashtray doesn’t smell and it looks perfect from the outside

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 10:07:41 PM »
I have them, but am
Out right now    I will have some in about three weeks .I have my machine shop putting the holes in sides for the light to illuminate through so they will be concours  correct.

Chris

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 12:43:18 AM »
That’s fantastic, how much are they? I’m interested when you get some more made.
Thanks

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 08:33:08 AM »
Probably around 110.  I used to sell them a little bit cheaper. But the problem was With the jig I had made up I would drill the small holes myself but it would take me over an hour to get one done and would break drill bits because they were so small.  So I have a machine shop that has agreed to do 20 at a time for me which is happening right now.  Mine has the ring around the ashtray also and has the correct knob .   I will do a post when they arrive back and are ready.

Chris

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:14 AM »
I’ll definitely take one!