Author Topic: 69 Shelby tailpanel  (Read 2876 times)

69 Shelby tailpanel
« on: February 12, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »
Concerning the black tailpanel, what is the finish/texture of paint that is to be applied?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Shelby tailpanel
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 06:46:40 PM »
Concerning the black tailpanel, what is the finish/texture of paint that is to be applied?
It depends on the type of tail panel you have. Both are semi gloss black but the early style had a texture made by the spray gun and the later style already had a made in imbedded texture made into the fiberglass so no additional was needed.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:50:03 PM »
Are there any images that show the difference between the the finish of the early vice later tail light panels?  How can the sprayed finish on the earlier tail light panels be replicated?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 11:23:27 PM »
Are there any images that show the difference between the the finish of the early vice later tail light panels?  How can the sprayed finish on the earlier tail light panels be replicated?
It was like a spatter paint process . I know some have replicated the process by turning down the pressure and letting the paint spit out in globs. Maybe others can chime in if they have been successful using other methods. Here are a couple pictures that shows a range of texture. some were very light others much heavy and others still inbetween.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 11:31:16 PM »
Here is a sample of a typical grained embedded tail panel used for the vast majority of the production. It seems that the embedded grained panel started somewhere between approximately 800 and 999 so any help narrowing that window down would be helpful.

David Hillman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »
Bob - 0922 which is an unrestored car has the embedded texture in the fiberglass ...

nightmist67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
What should be the color of the tail light panel inside the trunk?  I've seen white or pink.  Were there specific timeframes when a specific color was used?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:53:08 PM »
What should be the color of the tail light panel inside the trunk?  I've seen white or pink.  Were there specific timeframes when a specific color was used?
Pink is most typical the white may have been used very late . Many service parts were white .

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 08:23:36 AM »
Glad you are here to help Bob. In reference to the pink, do you have a shade, or paint code color to go by? I wouldn't use a 1970 Mopar Panther Pink when the pink color is closer to the 57 Chevy Coral, or the 57 Thunderbird Dusk rose.  Any suggestions?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »
Glad you are here to help Bob. In reference to the pink, do you have a shade, or paint code color to go by? I wouldn't use a 1970 Mopar Panther Pink when the pink color is closer to the 57 Chevy Coral, or the 57 Thunderbird Dusk rose.  Any suggestions?
I never used a formula because it had to be tinted to match. The back side of the fender,headlight buckets back side of front valance are other places to get a color example. The tint varied so there is a range that is acceptable It is better to be too light then too dark IMO.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Just so its clear the color is mimicking the original unpainted fiberglass. Originally there was no pink paint. If you have original fiberglass the color should be evident.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Just so its clear the color is mimicking the original unpainted fiberglass. Originally there was no pink paint. If you have original fiberglass the color should be evident.
+1. Typically done to hide repairs.

Tor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 03:41:00 AM »
Hello
On my 70 model the tail panel is the factory original,the color of the glass fiber inside the trunk is pink-ish.The color is not stong only a tint of pink if you understand me right.
And also thanks to Bob fore his knowledge in many cases

Tor