News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Accelerator Return Spring Bracket

Started by Corey Bowcutt, February 14, 2021, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corey Bowcutt

I have removed my aluminum intake on my GT350 and the accelerator return spring bracket looks very home made.  I looked at NPD and they have a return spring bracket but is advertised for a 2 barrel carb.  My bracket and the NPD bracket are shown below.  Is the NPD bracket correct for the 68 GT350?  If not can anyone tell me what should be used?

Thank you,

Corey

Coralsnake

It is not correct. Neither of the brackets in the photographs are correct.

Coralsnake

I can not validate the green spring, but bracket is correct shape

Corey Bowcutt

Pete, thank you.  Would this be the same for an aluminum intake and Holley carb?  Also where does the other end of that spring go?

Corey

Coralsnake

Its the same and the spread ng connects to the accelerator linkage rod

Royce Peterson

The part that you need is the same Accelerator Return Spring bracket that was used with 302-4V and 3904V and 428CJ in 1968. It's available as an accurate reproduction from Mansfield Mustang.

Here's how it looks installed on a big block, 302 is similar but I am not sure what color the return spring would be.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 14, 2021, 10:41:12 AM

I can not validate the green spring, but bracket is correct shape

White wire separators! Who's got 'em? I can't find 'em anywhere?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Corey Bowcutt

68gtcoupe

With regards to the return spring, Bob Mannel's SBF book, page 8-26 makes reference to "a new light blue colored spring" for 1968.  Having said that, the book is not Shelby-specific, and this reference does mention that this was for Mustangs, Cougars and Falcons with the Autolite 4300 4V.  But I can't imagine the spring would have been any different between the J-code Mustang and Shelby GT350 in 1968.  Also can't imagine it would have been changed for cars having undergone the recall modifications related to intake/carb in 1968. 

Terry

Corey Bowcutt

Funny I just bought that book from Bob's recommendation on the forum and did not think to look at it for this. I am learning.
Corey

Corey Bowcutt

I just wanted to share a story to let everyone know just how wonderful folks are on this forum.  A fellow forum member, who I had only made acquaintance with a week prior because I bought a fantastic original fuel pump from him, reached out to me and said he had an original bracket and spring on his 68 GT coupe.  He said my car was more deserving of the original parts so if I simply bought him the reproduction parts he would take the originals off his car and send them to me.  Who would do such an amazing thing?  I am blown away by the generosity!

Corey