News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 GT500 engine mount brackets

Started by shelbydoug, February 14, 2021, 12:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: OldGuy on February 16, 2021, 08:38:20 AM
This could be an example of where to apply satin clear spray paint to resist the eventual rust. It satisfies everyones needs.

That stuff just flakes off and would be at most a temporary if not just a momentary solution. That's not my need.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

Many - including myself have had problems with clears over time and once there is an issue its more difficult to address IMHO on the car when compared to bare steel and a protective coat such as oil or wax based product

Looked through my pictures can came up with a really nice and well maintained unrestored example of a bare steel early 66-69 style of finish. Example happens to be a 68 Small block built at San Jose

And then a 70 example from another unrestored car

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

If you choose to paint a faux finish that looks similar to bare metal you will need to coat with a  rust inhibitor product just like you would if it were bare steel. Moisture can migrate through the paint (depending on what you use)and cause oxidation underneath the paint. Most clears are very prone to this.  The under surface oxidation may not show up immediately. The rust inhibitor wax/sealer (many products out there.) will help mitigate the problem. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

The paint I found that looks close is a Rustoleum with primer. It's just called "metal look" as I recall but it's down in the shop and not in front of me at the moment.

It looks very similar to the pictures that you posted.

I tried it on the 428's bell backing plate and I like it and am encouraged to go further with it.

My '67s as you see in the picture that I posted were painted probably by me and probably to keep flash rust off of them. I'll use paint stripper on them to see what they look like bare but don't expect to find much good there.

That part actually, for some reason doesn't seem to heavily rust. The pictures Jeff has of rusty ones are probably because they were laying unprotected by the engine in junk yards for who knows how long?

Now that I see these pictures, they look like the brackets that were in my '68 that I recall. I don't remember if I painted them or left them natural when I had the engine out?

That grey tone on your picture looks much like the "coating" used on bare sheet metal now to me.

I'd like to keep it original looking but want to be practical in that it's unlikely that I'll ever have the car apart in my lifetime again, but who knows? Maybe I shouldn't rev that '8 to 7,500?

I think that it's not so much that -03074 is going to appear in Concourse to bejudged...ever, it's just that I'd like to maintain the "original character" since the '67 500's are so unique?

Since I'm only a temporary caretaker and have already brought it back from the dead, I think it deserves that consideration. These things are awesome monsters that sometimes defy verbal descriptions and one needs to experience them to understand?

I almost feel like I'm a paleontologist and am bringing back a real tyrannosaurus Rex from DNA?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!