News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1968 GT500KR AT Motor Stamp

Started by Smity, February 13, 2021, 06:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smity

Does anyone know how to identify if the motor is original to the KR?  Is the partial vin stamped on the block anywhere?  Thank You!

Coralsnake

The derivative VIN is most likely stamped on a cylinder head or the block. It will not be visible if the engine is in the car.

Have you looked at the casting date for the block by the oil filter?

That would be step 1

davez

Check the date code on the block to see if it fall within an acceptable range prior to the cars production
.  Partial VIN is stamped into one of the heads facing the firewall. Can't remember which head mine have been stamped in, but both my cars had them.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: davez on February 13, 2021, 06:32:12 PM
Check the date code on the block to see if it fall within an acceptable range prior to the cars production
.  Partial VIN is stamped into one of the heads facing the firewall. Can't remember which head mine have been stamped in, but both my cars had them.
Typically stamped on the driver side head in the back. If the heads have been off like for a valve job etc. they may have been reinstalled on the passenger side which in that case the number will show up on the passenger side front of the head.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Smity

Thank You for the information.  Very helpful.