Author Topic: Lease Vehicle  (Read 3237 times)

attwood12

• View Profile
Lease Vehicle
« on: February 15, 2021, 08:29:18 AM »
Did Ford offer a leasing program to the public in '73 or only to a Ford employee/family member?  I have a Marti noting the vehicle as being leased.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lease Vehicle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:46:09 AM »
If I remember correctly,  my dad and Uncle leased new Mercury's in 1969 from the Lincoln-Mercury Dealer...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
Couldnt “leased” be by one of the rental companies?

They bought new cars to lease. I have seen build sheets that had rental notations

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:34:25 AM by Coralsnake »

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
The topic is interesting, as it points to another aspect of the business.

How was the manufacturer's warranty work covered on '66 & '68 Shelbys sold to Hertz?

I was wondering if the manufacturer's warranty was voided and if Shelby, or Ford, provided a reduced level of coverage, because the car was being leased to general public?

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
I dont think the warranty was voided. Rental cars could be serviced by Ford dealers under warranty just like the other cars.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:34:43 AM »
My 68 GT500 was sent to Hazen leasing in Sacramento and had warranty work done.

Survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 11:08:32 AM »
One example from a Marti:

47 DSO  Cincinnati DSO (District Sales Office)

Order Type: Company Lease Plan
DSO Item #: 8977
Dealer #: 47223J
            Ford Motor Company
            PO Bx 15004 Cinci District SLS FD
            Cincinnati OH 45215

Car was leased to an individual but I am not sure whether she was a Ford employee.

Rukiddin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 01:33:08 PM »
It was approx late 69 that the Ford dealer in Chicago,that I worked at got a 67 GT 500 lease return. We were not a Shelby dealer and it originated at different dealer.  I was 21 at the time and as car crazy as could be! I asked the rent/lease manager to arrange for me to buy it. He told me it was not possible......he said I would kill myself if I bought it. Probably right! The car was parked in a fenced lot with other lease returns and I would drool over it every morning before work. After a few months the tires went flat and looked terrible. I took it upon myself to “maintain” the car  ;).  Found the keys and would get to work hour early to take that car for a fast ride and put my own money in the tank. That lasted for months,until winter and I  would bug /beg the owner to sell me the car. He told me “absolutely not” ! Came a day that the battery was dead and I was caught swapping batteries. He hid the keys and one day I came to work and the car was GONE! I was devastated. My favorite Shelby story. Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:58:18 PM by Rukiddin »

shelbyluva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 12:36:00 AM »
New rental cars have been serviced under warranty just as if sold to private owners and that continues today.

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:37:08 AM »
My '69 GT-500 was leased new from a local Ford dealer leasing company. See photo of original warranty card I still have hoping to one day see it return to it's current owner. I was a lucky kid back then for sure!!!

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

8T03S1425

• SAAC Member
  • Next to sex, I like my Shelby best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 12:06:42 PM »
The topic is interesting, as it points to another aspect of the business.

How was the manufacturer's warranty work covered on '66 & '68 Shelbys sold to Hertz?

I was wondering if the manufacturer's warranty was voided and if Shelby, or Ford, provided a reduced level of coverage, because the car was being leased to general public?

Steve

Some interesting information is coming to light.

My 1st revelation is that individual leases were a thing back in the mid-60s. I wouldn't a thunk it.

Leasing a Shelby through a leasing company is essentially a different way of financing the car and if it parallels today's leases, they'd be long(ish) term leases to a singular party during that term.

My question was really specific to Hertz's purchases to rent the Shelbys for short term; partial day, full day, several days. Daily rentals didn't get the reputation of being rode hard and put up wet, for no reason. Short term lessees don't typically treat a car with the same level of care as does a long term lessee, or owner.

I'm the eternal skeptic, and it seems to me that warrantors are always looking for a way to void a warranty claim. Citing that a vehicle was pressed into business usage, instead of pleasure driving, would be one such way that Ford/Shelby could make the repair a client pay versus warranty coverage.

I guess another consideration is that warranties were much shorter in the '60s than they are today. I guess if a Hertz client blew an engine or broke a transmission after Hertz had the car for 90 days, Hertz had to sort out who pays for the repair with the client.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & ‘74.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:33 PM »
The cars were owned by Hertz. A customer leasing a car would deal only with Hertz. I doubt a lot of the rentals were 3 months or more. Hertz replaced cars annually.

My new Dodge Charger only had a one year warranty. Heck a lot of these old Shelbys had two year warranties.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 01:10:21 PM by Coralsnake »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »
Dodge Charger!  WTF?    ;D

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 01:03:36 PM »
Hey, Its freakin minus 20 with two feet of snow. You think the Mustang is a good winter driver? When it snowed I drove ten miles to get to a plowed road. Last time I checked they were not a lot of cool AWD cars. Its called necessity  They also come in orange. lol

🤪
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 01:14:45 PM by Coralsnake »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 02:28:04 PM »
At least you stuck with the orange!   8)