News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Lease Vehicle

Started by attwood12, February 15, 2021, 08:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

attwood12

Did Ford offer a leasing program to the public in '73 or only to a Ford employee/family member?  I have a Marti noting the vehicle as being leased.

JD

If I remember correctly,  my dad and Uncle leased new Mercury's in 1969 from the Lincoln-Mercury Dealer...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Coralsnake

Couldnt "leased" be by one of the rental companies?

They bought new cars to lease. I have seen build sheets that had rental notations

8T03S1425

The topic is interesting, as it points to another aspect of the business.

How was the manufacturer's warranty work covered on '66 & '68 Shelbys sold to Hertz?

I was wondering if the manufacturer's warranty was voided and if Shelby, or Ford, provided a reduced level of coverage, because the car was being leased to general public?

Steve
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Coralsnake

I dont think the warranty was voided. Rental cars could be serviced by Ford dealers under warranty just like the other cars.

KR Convertible

My 68 GT500 was sent to Hazen leasing in Sacramento and had warranty work done.

Survivor

One example from a Marti:

47 DSO  Cincinnati DSO (District Sales Office)

Order Type: Company Lease Plan
DSO Item #: 8977
Dealer #: 47223J
            Ford Motor Company
            PO Bx 15004 Cinci District SLS FD
            Cincinnati OH 45215

Car was leased to an individual but I am not sure whether she was a Ford employee.

Rukiddin

It was approx late 69 that the Ford dealer in Chicago,that I worked at got a 67 GT 500 lease return. We were not a Shelby dealer and it originated at different dealer.  I was 21 at the time and as car crazy as could be! I asked the rent/lease manager to arrange for me to buy it. He told me it was not possible......he said I would kill myself if I bought it. Probably right! The car was parked in a fenced lot with other lease returns and I would drool over it every morning before work. After a few months the tires went flat and looked terrible. I took it upon myself to "maintain" the car  ;).  Found the keys and would get to work hour early to take that car for a fast ride and put my own money in the tank. That lasted for months,until winter and I  would bug /beg the owner to sell me the car. He told me "absolutely not" ! Came a day that the battery was dead and I was caught swapping batteries. He hid the keys and one day I came to work and the car was GONE! I was devastated. My favorite Shelby story. Thanks for reading

shelbyluva

New rental cars have been serviced under warranty just as if sold to private owners and that continues today.

kingchief

My '69 GT-500 was leased new from a local Ford dealer leasing company. See photo of original warranty card I still have hoping to one day see it return to it's current owner. I was a lucky kid back then for sure!!!

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

8T03S1425

Quote from: 8T03S1425 on February 15, 2021, 10:17:49 AM
The topic is interesting, as it points to another aspect of the business.

How was the manufacturer's warranty work covered on '66 & '68 Shelbys sold to Hertz?

I was wondering if the manufacturer's warranty was voided and if Shelby, or Ford, provided a reduced level of coverage, because the car was being leased to general public?

Steve

Some interesting information is coming to light.

My 1st revelation is that individual leases were a thing back in the mid-60s. I wouldn't a thunk it.

Leasing a Shelby through a leasing company is essentially a different way of financing the car and if it parallels today's leases, they'd be long(ish) term leases to a singular party during that term.

My question was really specific to Hertz's purchases to rent the Shelbys for short term; partial day, full day, several days. Daily rentals didn't get the reputation of being rode hard and put up wet, for no reason. Short term lessees don't typically treat a car with the same level of care as does a long term lessee, or owner.

I'm the eternal skeptic, and it seems to me that warrantors are always looking for a way to void a warranty claim. Citing that a vehicle was pressed into business usage, instead of pleasure driving, would be one such way that Ford/Shelby could make the repair a client pay versus warranty coverage.

I guess another consideration is that warranties were much shorter in the '60s than they are today. I guess if a Hertz client blew an engine or broke a transmission after Hertz had the car for 90 days, Hertz had to sort out who pays for the repair with the client.
I have owned 8T03S-01425 since 06/76.
I owned 6S2295 in 1973 & '74.

Coralsnake

The cars were owned by Hertz. A customer leasing a car would deal only with Hertz. I doubt a lot of the rentals were 3 months or more. Hertz replaced cars annually.

My new Dodge Charger only had a one year warranty. Heck a lot of these old Shelbys had two year warranties.

KR Convertible

Dodge Charger!  WTF?    ;D

Coralsnake

Hey, Its freakin minus 20 with two feet of snow. You think the Mustang is a good winter driver? When it snowed I drove ten miles to get to a plowed road. Last time I checked they were not a lot of cool AWD cars. Its called necessity  They also come in orange. lol

🤪

KR Convertible

At least you stuck with the orange!   8)