News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Super cool '69 GT500

Started by 2112, February 16, 2021, 01:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A car built the way most would no longer do in today's environment of retirement investing.

Very Different from what is usually dicussed here, but if you are a car guy, you have to respect the build and the guy's courage to take a valuable car in a direction he wanted.

No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Ford-Mustang-GT500-/303850571273?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

You are looking at a true 69 SHELBY GT500 4-Speed that I have owned since 1977.  It was bought and Drag Raced by Ault & James Speed Shop in Dayton, Ohio during 1969.  The car was retired from racing in 1970 and sat till 74 when it was returned to the street by a local Ford dealer and painted black for the first time.  I bought the GT500 in 1977 off of a Chevrolet used car lot after it was traded in on a new truck.
   The SHELBY was use for pleasure and car shows over the next 30 years.  By 2007 the car needed a repaint and redetailed.  I originally was planning on keeping the SHELBY mostly all stock.  The car only had 51,000 miles and No rust anywhere.  I had considered returning the SHELBY back to its original color of Black Jade, but couldn't do it after all the years of having it black.
     As I began to make plans for its restoration I decided I wanted to leave some signs that were still evident from its race history. Like the Rolled rear fender lips for one.  By 2015 when I was able to go full speed ahead with the project, Resto Mods were everywhere, the new SHELBY's were out. I Decided to make my 69 SHELBY a modern version with better looks,  handling, and proformnce than what was available in 69.
Let's face it the fit and finish of Shelby's in the 60's was terrible putting it mildly.  The goal was to make the doors, fenders, and hood gaps/fits like a modern SHELBY.
    To get handling and ride height I was looking for, I went with a Ride Tech front suspension, with Ride Tech adjustable shocks on the back along with a rear sway bar from 1970.
   To get the SHELBY to stop I went with Wilwood 6 piston up front and 4 piston in the rear.
   To make more power I took the numbers matching engine  to "Ohio" George Montgomery for upgrades.  They bored it to .020 over, and stroked it .25" to 4.25", along with adding Edelbrook heads, intake, and waterpump to reduce engine weight by over 150 lbs.   The battery was also relocated to the trunk for evan better balance front to back.
    The car was rewired using a modern wiring and fuses. All the wiring was moved out of the engine compartment to showcase the powerful 428 CJ (now 460 ci 505HP/575 Torque) while still using its original 735 Holley carb.
   The Ford 9" is now carrying 3.70 gears.
    The stunning appearance of this SHELBY comes from the beautiful glossy Black finish with factory black reflective strips that run true and straight. The lower stance along with 17X9" wheels wrapped in modern rubber gives this SHELBY an elegant and nasty look at the same time from any angle.  Anywhere you take this car it draws a crowd and wins awards. 
   All modifications of parts are bolt on and could be put back to original if ever wanted.   All original parts from the SHELBY go with the car if wanted.

Quote from: 557 on February 16, 2021, 01:53:44 AM
Those wheels............... ::)

Yeah, I am a 15" wheel guy, but I am looking past that for the moment. This is just something we won't see much of any more.

One thing (of many) that impressed me is how perfect the body is.

I remember when I went to the Mustang Round up in Bellevue Washington in the summer of '87.

There was a '69 Burgundy Boss 9 with a tunnel ram, two Holleys and headers. But most amazing of all was the car was set up for road rallying. Lowered with B2 style suspension upgrades. Rolled fender lips and huge race slicks on all four corners.

It was, and will always be the most insanely incredible Mustang I have ever laid eyes on.

I can imagine it is probably restored to showroom perfection now (still cool) but man, there was a time they were still cars to be driven in anger.

67 GT350

You have to respect the guy taking a valuable car in that direction.....?
Lets think, 69's? Many are priced plus or minus 100K that are very nice drivers, (Stephen's car for example). I turned down a restored grabber blue that was beautiful for 85K
This guy wants 215K? I am not sure what direction we are thinking, but I would say, it was the wrong direction.
In a real world comparison, its it like Andy of NY not using the Hospital ship that was in NYC for the recovering covid patients, instead forcing them into nursing homes, killing many compromised covid free elderly people, and blaming everyone but himself, was he looking to take many off Medicaid?
BIGtime JUST sAyIn.
I would not pay 215K for almost any year Shelby, they came down in price, although most don't like hearing that. (Put a huge reserve on it and start it at a buck, lets see what the real market value might be, it just might revel something that a few don't want to see)
RARE  Signature Delete

prototypefan

George Huisman reimagined this body style as well

Doing the aluminum bits under the hood certainly helps with the handling

Dove makes a great all alloy engine but you'd give up the original bottom end

Tremec transmissions are wonderful......launch like a pro stock car and 2100 rpm at 70 mph.....I hope this has a Tremec

6972boss

I love this build. Nailed the stance. Nice to see the bones of the car are intact but he crossed into restomod tastefully. I would rock this.  I was interested when he first listed it at 189K. Not sure why it took a 25K jump in price. :o Not interested now. :-\ Baffles me, if it didn't sell at 189k why list it for more?? Chasing away even more prospective buyers.

shelbymann1970

What is a resto mod? It still sports a factory chassis(unibody) with no mods I can see . Stock interior. Stock body. It is a modified Shelby Mustang to me and not a low to mid 6 figure resto mod I'm used to seeing. Changing out a suspension and better brakes and building up a stock engine is not a resto mod. Putting a full frame under it with late model suspension technology, a Coyote engine 6 speed IRS or a 4 link rear is more of a restomod along with tucked bumpers and flush door handles or none at all. I could buy a stock 69 and do the same up grades including paint and be in it for less than 1/2 his price. Just my 2 cents... Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Restomod means something different to a lot of people.

I am a Day 2 guy, by my definition, this is Day 4. I too like it very much.

And it is a change of pace.

mikeh

Love it!! And George Huisman's car.

BGlover67

Quote from: 6972boss on February 16, 2021, 12:24:36 PM
I love this build. Nailed the stance. Nice to see the bones of the car are intact but he crossed into restomod tastefully. I would rock this.  I was interested when he first listed it at 189K. Not sure why it took a 25K jump in price. :o Not interested now. :-\ Baffles me, if it didn't sell at 189k why list it for more?? Chasing away even more prospective buyers.

I'll bet the $25k jump might have something to do with the the prices obtained at Mecum Kissimmee 2021.  :o.  Michael, I agree the body work and stance is amazing (though I'd expect a nicer engine bay to match the rest of the build), but it's hard to imagine that he'll ever see a reasonable return on his investment.  Speaking of which, I wonder what the real cost to build was?  Or perhaps this is another case of someone trying to appease their spouse, and they're not really serious about selling.  "I swear babe, I have no idea why the Shelby isn't selling!"  ::)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Brian, I bet you are spot-on.

I would not think he could get his ask, but I have read "Restomods" are bringing top $ at auctions (at least BJ).

A sales technique with real estate out here is to raise the ask on an expensive parcel that is not moving to create a "sense of urgency".

I don't know if it works, but it is used enough I am guessing it may in some circumstances.