News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Interior color clarification

Started by 2112, February 16, 2021, 10:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interior paint colors:

I have been a little confused over how the interior panels were originally painted. Like many, I just thought everything was black originally but now know that isn't the case. I then cam to believe the steel grain door, and entire rear surround were a metallic charcoal.

Having never seen an untouched car in person, I could never really see the subtleties.

Then we all got lucky when Vern generously shared his copious collection of pictures of an unrestored car.  What a fantastic resource.

But as I study the pictures, to my eye, it looks like the door and lower 1/4 interior panels are black and the upper sail panels are something closer to the metallic charcoal mentioned before. I am hoping to get some clarification here.

Again, thanks to Vern for generously sharing this Archive. He could have kept it private or obscured the details with watermarks (I get that BTW) but here it is for all of us. High Resolution pics here;

Quote from: Vernon Estes on February 04, 2021, 12:36:55 PM
Link to Dropbox for those who want them...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avchfszoye4sjcu/AAD5p18hlOP9Vg9rcajQEhxWa?dl=0

Coralsnake

Dark charcoal metallic for all those surfaces. Keep in mind they were sprayed at different times and likely by different vendors in some cases.

You dont want everything to match perfectly

This is why many suggest seeking out these cars for review and enlisting the aid of someone that has restored a few cars before. They are usually willing to help for free and then all those questions can be addressed or at least a good many of them. Then you wont be "that guy" that wants to know what brand of paint is best and the exact percentage of sheen it should have.

I will defer to my 1967 colleagues but I dont believe the screws for the rear metal straps were originally black. This could illustrate why looking at multiple cars is beneficial

😀

JD

What is not Charcoal Metallic:
the headliner, A-pillar pads, the main dash pad, dash knee pad,  sun visors, door arm-rest insets, molded plastic seat backs and lower side/front seat trim, upper rear metal vent and slide units, roll bar cover, lower front kick panels, carpet and fasteners which are chrome plated.

Every thing else is charcoal black metallic, with some flattener to reduce the sheen.

Partial list, I'm sure I'll omit something but others will chime-in:

Two Metal Trim strips at base of windshield on top of dash pad

The metal portion of the dash, ash tray front surface, glove box front surface

Steering column cover, U-shaped bracket that holds the steering column to the underside of the dash

On the doors, the Textured metal surface and front, rear and lower edge of doors (gray stops BEFORE the rubber seal)

Two large metal roof panels at the top of the rear glass above the roll-bar,

Rear lower and upper large side panels and the trims strips that cover the joint all around the back, the upper and lower rear corners, upper panel above the trap door, the trap door - front and back and the hinges (there were two versions of the trim strip at the top of the trap door - early has hidden studs on the back of the trim strip - later has exposed chrome screws), most cars have the later rear seat latch stamped-metal cover plates which also get the Charcoal Gray Metallic,

One section of the fold-down rear seat that is curved-metal and textured - the one not covered with carpet.

Hope this helps...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Great guys,

How about the plastic seat backs and side trim on the deluxe bucket seats?

Also Charcoal metallic?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on February 16, 2021, 05:21:25 PM
Great guys,

Also Charcoal metallic?
The plastic seat backs and side trim are semigloss black like the kick panels and vinyl door panels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Another area that was black rather than charcoal is the top of the dash around the defroster ducts before the dash pad was installed ;)

Added: Lower door grill painted portion
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Terry Curry

What stays charcoal metallic black if you have a parchment interior car?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Terry Curry on February 16, 2021, 06:58:22 PM
What stays charcoal metallic black if you have a parchment interior car?

Its not that the panels would "stay" charcoal as all that I can think of arrived unpainted at San Jose and painted on site. Cut down on some of the variations in tint and tone if painted at remote supply plants/sites.

At the moment can't think of one item painted Charcoal Metallic on a "black" interior car that would be that same color on a Parchment interior car.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JD

Quote from: 2112 on February 16, 2021, 05:21:25 PM
Great guys,

Also Charcoal metallic?

Those were in the list of:

Quote from: JD on February 16, 2021, 12:56:54 PM
What is not Charcoal Metallic:
the headliner, A-pillar pads, the main dash pad, dash knee pad, door arm-rest insets, molded plastic seat backs and lower side/front seat trim, upper rear metal vent and slide units, roll bar cover, lower front kick panels, carpet and fasteners which are chrome plated.

But the sun visors should also be in that list of NOT Charcoal metallic.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

oldcanuck

I noticed in Vern's door panel picture, the 4 chrome or stainless screws. Is that original ? ......as it appears mine may have been replaced with black by a PO.   THX
Bob
Knoxvegas, TN

JD

Quote from: oldcanuck on February 17, 2021, 08:05:51 AM
I noticed in Vern's door panel picture, the 4 chrome or stainless screws. Is that original ? ......as it appears mine may have been replaced with black by a PO.   THX

The screws should not be black, (the two lowest screws in that image I think were added.  The screw at the rear "point" was not on early cars, there was a service memo that told to add that screw if that point of the panel was not staying attached by the hidden clips behind)

Bossbill

Quote from: JD on February 16, 2021, 12:56:54 PM

Every thing else is charcoal black metallic, with some flattener to reduce the sheen.

SNIP

The metal portion of the dash, ash tray front surface, glove box front surface

SNIP

I believe the ashtray front cover was painted before the tubular rivets mounted it to the rest of the ashtray. There would be some light overspray on the back as the painter did the sides and mounting ears.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx