News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

The "E" Generation, It's Gonna Happen

Started by 69mach351w, February 18, 2021, 11:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDunne

Funny in the video it says,  "Anything you can do I can do electric"  yeah sure........tell that to the folks in Texas over past week.   All the greatness of renewable energy sources, and still folks are using gas generators to power their homes down there.  Not sure how the whole electric vehicle experience has been down there as well.

trotrof1

I prefer the noise of a Holley 4V carb at WOT than what sounds like someone cutting plywood with a worn out circular saw.

Don Johnston

Lets try it at a 12 or 24 hour race and let it wait for fuel stops. 

Checked out a Mach-e in a showroom this week while having the Mustang serviced.  Four doors, wrong.  Mustang logos inside and out and tri bar tail lights, wrong.  Tesla style info tablet and dash, wrong.  Design is a modification of Ford Fusion, which should have gotten the nameplate.  Summary:  Ford, I am not amused. 8)

Quote from: KDunne on February 18, 2021, 01:33:41 PM
Funny in the video it says,  "Anything you can do I can do electric"  yeah sure........tell that to the folks in Texas over past week.   All the greatness of renewable energy sources, and still folks are using gas generators to power their homes down there.  Not sure how the whole electric vehicle experience has been down there as well.

It isn't about having a better energy source (as of today) it is about equity.

SFM6S087

I can accept an electric Mustang. But a 4-door SUV is not, and never will be, a Mustang to me. Great car. Wrong nameplate.

Steve

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

Quote from: SFM6S087 on February 18, 2021, 03:17:43 PM
I can accept an electric Mustang. But a 4-door SUV is not, and never will be, a Mustang to me. Great car. Wrong nameplate.

Steve

Somewhere in the recent past Ford commented that the sales of this  "thing" are brisk.

We're old and a very small market. They listened to us here once upon a time saying we were "influential". Apparently that is a thing of the past and probably that junior executive president got canned and has a taco/hot dog stand somewhere?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KDunne

Yes i read that too, time will tell.  Lets see how popular they are when the batteries need to be replaced.

67 GT350

I saw one yesterday at the local Ford Store. Should have just called it a Mach E and that's it. BUT, it was a neat looking unit.
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

I'm told by someone who follows the development of e-vehicles (which I don't) that the change that is coming with US built versions is that the batteries will not be integral to the car and not need to be recharged in the car.

What will happen when your batteries are nearing depletion is that the battery packs will be standardized and you will simply exchange your depleted batteries for a pack that is already recharged and a recharging/service station.

Again, I'm told, Tesla had the design option to do this initially and chose to go with the integral route?

I know that the "Devil is in the details" so smarter people then me are working on that so don't ask me how that works out but needless to say I can imagine just a few issues with that thought?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 22, 2021, 12:06:47 PM
I'm told by someone who follows the development of e-vehicles (which I don't) that the change that is coming with US built versions is that the batteries will not be integral to the car and not need to be recharged in the car.
It will be much more expensive than home charging. They'll have to add in the battery replacement % on each charge. With the weight and high voltages involved there'll need to be a "professional" to do the swap.
This whole electric thing is nothing but politics. There is no place it makes sense. They are dirtier to build. Dirtier to drive when you look at having to import power from outlying areas. They are far dirtier to dispose of the parts of the batteries that can't be recycled.
The whole thing reminds me of when .gov said booze was bad and banned it. The people finally got it back and .gov has been making good money on the taxes ever since. Wait until you see the schemes they come up with to get their pound of flesh er taxes from electric cars and the scams that people come up with to beat them. The ACLU has been fighting OBDIII as too intrusive for years. It's the only system that will assure .gov is able to track your vehicle usage and get their road taxes.

Truth in opinion writing: I own a Chevy Volt. I bought it used from my daughter for $8000. I got $5200 back on my taxes (cash not an income credit). When I got it I could use the carpool lane with one person for free but they ended that perk 2 years ago. I still charge at work for free and it gets me there and back. I put $600 tires on it so I've $3400 into it and will sell it for $5000 when I retire later this year. So in my situation it's been a good thing. The charging system died but CA has a 10 year 150,000 mile requirement for warranty on the electric system and battery so it cost me nothing to fix.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 22, 2021, 02:54:09 PM

It will be much more expensive than home charging. They'll have to add in the battery replacement % on each charge. With the weight and high voltages involved there'll need to be a "professional" to do the swap.
This whole electric thing is nothing but politics. There is no place it makes sense. They are dirtier to build. Dirtier to drive when you look at having to import power from outlying areas. They are far dirtier to dispose of the parts of the batteries that can't be recycled.
The whole thing reminds me of when .gov said booze was bad and banned it. The people finally got it back and .gov has been making good money on the taxes ever since. Wait until you see the schemes they come up with to get their pound of flesh er taxes from electric cars and the scams that people come up with to beat them. The ACLU has been fighting OBDIII as too intrusive for years. It's the only system that will assure .gov is able to track your vehicle usage and get their road taxes.

It has always been about  money and control.

Climate Change, Diversity and Covid are the 3 denominations of the largest religion in America. The Church of gargantuan government.

J_Speegle

Wonder how these are going to act in a good collision as well as rescue/recovery attempts for the victims. Do remember the early developments and safety releases. Allot of don't push, cut and pry here and there.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s1139

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 22, 2021, 02:54:09 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 22, 2021, 12:06:47 PM

Its a little like COVID - hunt around enough and you can find "theories" that support any side

Whilst I love my v8s and have cars from most decades from the '50s I am looking forward to my next daily being electric - I love what Tesla, Rivian and others are doing to drive innovation. This is not about us (oldies), its about our kids and what they will want/need. At its extreme, forget car ownership and look at shared platforms with autonomous cars (think 80% utilization rates on Uber etc, way less cars needed in our cities)

Induction charging (in the garage floor), 500m ranges and 0-100 in a few secs - what's not to love?

cheers