Author Topic: The "E" Generation, It's Gonna Happen  (Read 3575 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
Re: The "E" Generation, It's Gonna Happen
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »
... This whole electric thing is nothing but politics. There is no place it makes sense...
The whole thing reminds me of when .gov said booze was bad and banned it. The people finally got it back and .gov has been making good money on the taxes ever since. Wait until you see the schemes they come up with to get their pound of flesh er taxes from electric cars and the scams that people come up with to beat them...

I had a buddy 'way back in school who said, "I hate it when you ruin a good argument with facts"  ??? ::)

The new tech may be great, but there are serious unanswered questions:
* How will we replace ALL of the natural gas-fired generated power? (and the remaining coal-fired power)... in 14 years? I'm still unclear on where "we" stand with Nuclear generation?
* Where are we going to get enough of the "minerals" needed to make the batteries? "The Grid" will also need huge battery capacity - unless I missed something?
* Also remember that once "fossil fuels" are banned... we'll be needing a LOT more electricity to replace all of the gas-fired (and oil) home heaters, hot water heaters, stoves.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
It will be much more expensive than home charging. They'll have to add in the battery replacement % on each charge. With the weight and high voltages involved there'll need to be a "professional" to do the swap.
This whole electric thing is nothing but politics. There is no place it makes sense. They are dirtier to build. Dirtier to drive when you look at having to import power from outlying areas. They are far dirtier to dispose of the parts of the batteries that can't be recycled.

Its a little like COVID - hunt around enough and you can find "theories" that support any side

Whilst I love my v8s and have cars from most decades from the '50s I am looking forward to my next daily being electric - I love what Tesla, Rivian and others are doing to drive innovation. This is not about us (oldies), its about our kids and what they will want/need. At its extreme, forget car ownership and look at shared platforms with autonomous cars (think 80% utilization rates on Uber etc, way less cars needed in our cities)

Induction charging (in the garage floor), 500m ranges and 0-100 in a few secs - what's not to love?

cheers
Do you really think that .gov will let you own a 100 mph passenger pod in the future? I don't buy the it's for the kids. It's for .gov and their eco pitch - the rest of the world isn't signing on - estimates are by 2050 1/2 the cars in the world will be electric but the US will be 90% - that means the rest of the world will be under 30-40%. You can't cover the earth with enough solar panels and erect enough windmills to make up for the energy you'll lose from gas and oil. Never mind the cost. And, don't forget they want all the trains and mass transit on electric too.
BTW: I work in the electric biz from generation to delivery in SoCal. The dream can't be met until at least 2075.
Induction charging is not efficient and you lose 30-50%. 500 mile range will be ideal. Normal person driving it will be 3-400 miles. Drop the temp and you can get to 1/2 that real quick. It sure won't work in the Dakotas during the winter.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 10:12:59 PM »
^^^Agreed 100% with the argument against electric cars, vs the benefits of fossil fueled ones. 

All-electric transportation is a fundamentally inane plan.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for Bill Gates' fleet of thousands of jet airplanes to make the world safe from global warming by spraying some magical fairy dust into the sky.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:55 PM »
Without Nuclear, there is NO way this can happen within anyone's lifetime.

Of course, the zealots hate nuclear too. Even France has embraced nuclear (and weirdly, Germany is against it).

They could have instant global cooling to offset the rise in temperature by replicating one big volcano eruption, like Krakatoa. I read a well reasoned plan to release Sulfur Dioxide over the poles to replicate the Volcano soot. Yes it would create acid rain again over the poles, but it could also drop our global mean temperature back to the level of 1850 within a very short period of time (1-2 years).

That could buy us decades to research and further develop new non Fossil energy sources.

Guess who dismissed the solution out of hand?

How are you going to achieve climate equity if you produce a quick solution that can buy us more time?

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 09:50:12 AM »
I just love the color of the sky when people who think they are doing something good are plugging their car into a home, and burning coal to charge their cars so they can feel good. Ahhh, dirty batteries, sitting in my car, electromagnetic fields near my brain and private parts as I drive, making me feel good about my energy source. Parking my car in my house, just waiting for a short, while I sleep.
Some will do anything to think they are making themselves feel good.
RARE  Signature Delete

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »
I just love the color of the sky when people who think they are doing something good are plugging their car into a home, and burning coal to charge their cars so they can feel good.

Out of area generation is a real problem. There are LA Water & Power coal plants in Arizona and Utah sending power to Los Angeles they still use 2 of 3 gas powered plants in the LA basin - the 3rd is kept active for emergencies in case one of the tie lines go down. As power generation prices go up from using only solar and wind surplus power will not be available. People won't want to share and you'll see more states pulling out of the national grid like Texas has. We've pulled hydro electric power from as far as Oregon and Washington to keep the lights on in SoCal.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
Yes i read that too, time will tell.  Lets see how popular they are when the batteries need to be replaced.
May be like a nuclear submarine....only needs replaced every 40 yrs. :o

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 05:56:47 PM »
We have no gas or oil pipe lines here so our fuel and electricity rates can be two to two and half the continental US average.  The political goal is to reduce fossil fuel use by 30 to 50%  by 2030. We are at 30% now use PV and solar water on roofs and windmills (which are starting to annoy those living nearby.  Land is limited here).  E-cars registrations are now up to a whopping 1.8%.  The govees want all their vehicles to e-powered by 2030.  Most buses and vans are there now, but not any of the utility vehicles.  The military here has been using fleets o hydrogen power Chevy trucks for years.  Sure is a problem on days o heavy clouds and no wind.

No one has figured what happens to the gas tax revenue to take care of the roads.  Also, lots e-car owners expect free power rom charging stations at shopping malls.  Very few condo or apartment complexes have chargers. Lots o e-car owners switching pug-ins from someone else's car to theirs to there cars at the free stations. Problems yet to be solved in the rush towards to the planned future.  Stay tuned for more chaos with the ill conceived plans. 8)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 06:32:41 PM »
Drove one today  for 60 k  I would find a used gt350  .  They are loaded with  features   to me this defeats the idea  of going green aspect.  The battery pack is located under the  floor of the car / the whole  pack drops out the bottom  onto the service  cart  and individual cell packs can be replaced ( cant wait for this fun )   and they have to be charged  within spec of the connecting  cells near them  before they are installed .  neat idea  be surprised if it lasts more than a few years with  200 mile range fully charged.  good local commuter car . 
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .