News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

PCV Rubber Hose

Started by hertz350, February 23, 2021, 06:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertz350

Looking to find out the most correct pcv rubber hose to use on a March built '66 Shelby. For example, is it ribbed or alligator finish and what approximate outside diameter is it? According to what I have seen in pictures here and what I have read here, there could be a difference in hoses on the engines assembled at Ford with the hose attached and those cars where the hose was installed at SAI.

Thank you.

Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Bob Gaines

Quote from: hertz350 on February 23, 2021, 06:47:34 PM
Looking to find out the most correct pcv rubber hose to use on a March built '66 Shelby. For example, is it ribbed or alligator finish and what approximate outside diameter is it? According to what I have seen in pictures here and what I have read here, there could be a difference in hoses on the engines assembled at Ford with the hose attached and those cars where the hose was installed at SAI.

Thank you.

There was no reason for SA to install the hose given it already came on the 289 hipo.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2021, 06:59:49 PM
There was no reason for SA to install the hose given it already came on the 289 hipo.

+1 Agree no reason for Shelby to mess with something like that and they didn't.

Like the heater hoses the hoses were ribbed to identify the supplier for quality control purposes

Couple of originals to illustrate. Notice that they are the same maker/provider.  This is what I've typically found on 66 San Jose Mustangs and Shelbys used for this purpose Hipo and non-Hipo

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

I don't think it is absolute one way or the other as it pertains to ribbed hose or not. I have also seen smooth hose in what appeared to be unmolested  context.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2021, 09:26:14 PM
I don't think it is absolute one way or the other as it pertains to ribbed hose or not. I have also seen smooth hose in what appeared to be unmolested  context.

Are of the same opinion on other small dia hoses like heater hoses and 67 breather hoses?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Karguy

So with all that said, which would be a correct style hose for a October 1965 built San Jose 66 K code/gt350?
Any recommendations on where to purchase a correct reproduction or NOS hose along with the correct clamps?
Thanks, Karl
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Karguy on February 23, 2021, 11:31:04 PM
So with all that said, which would be a correct style hose for a October built San Jose 66 K code/gt350?

No difference based on when during the production year IMHO. As for ribs no ribs your going to have to make the choice yourself - with all that said - Bob and I have posted our opinions at this time

Quote from: Karguy on February 23, 2021, 11:31:04 PMAny recommendations on where to purchase a correct reproduction or NOS hose along with the correct clamps?

Haven't looked guess its time to check out what is available and what you can find. All part of the fun :)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 23, 2021, 11:06:18 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 23, 2021, 09:26:14 PM

Are of the same opinion on other small dia hoses like heater hoses and 67 breather hoses?
More like breather hose but seem to be a molded shape. At least the ones I have taken off retain the contoured shape.

6s1640

Hi Karl,

Brant at Virginia Classic Mustang sells a ribbed hose for the HiPo oil cap to air cleaner.  See link:

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-66-GT350-MUSTANG-OIL-CAP-TO-AIR-CLEANER-BASE-HOSE-WITH-CLAMPS-P399360.aspx

They also sell a PCV hose that could be cut for the GT350 application.  IIRC, you only need one bend for GT350.  See link for image.  Not quite an exact match.

https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/65-68-289302-PCV-VALVE-TO-CARBURETOR-SPACER-HOSE-WITH-CORRECT-LOGO-P1005.aspx

See link for OEM hose.  You will have to scroll down some.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2012/05/just-details1965-gt350-mustang-shelby.html

Cory

gt350hr

"My" opinion from personal observation is the original PCV hose was the original Ford hose cut to fit the new location. Part of my opinion is based on the fact that "originals" vary in length , and the shortened end is often a bit jagged as if cut by a razor blade. I welcome other opinions.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.