News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

6S2118 - Bring A Trailer

Started by silverton_ford, February 26, 2021, 08:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverton_ford

6S2118

Link to auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-mustang-fastback-44/

This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350H is said to be one of 1,000 examples built as part of a partnership between Ford and the Hertz rental car company. According to the SAAC registry, chassis #6S2118 was shipped to Larsen Ford of White Plains, New York on May 12, 1966 for dealer preparation prior to delivery to Hertz in New York City. The car is said to have been refurbished sometime in the 1980s, and is finished in black with gold stripes. Power is from a numbers-matching 289ci HiPo V8 paired with a four-speed manual transmission, and additional equipment includes front disc brakes, an optional fold-down rear seat, an AM radio, a dash-top tachometer, racing-style lap belts, and a wood-look steering wheel. This GT350H was acquired by the seller in 2020 and is now offered with a letter from the SAAC, an owner's manual, a magazine said to feature the car, and a clean California title in the seller's name.

The car is finished in black with gold stripes over the top and along the lower rocker panels. The 1966 GT350 featured a steel-framed fiberglass hood with a scoop as well as revisions from the previous year's model including fixed plexiglass quarter windows and rear brake cooling ducts. Close-up photos of the finish, trim, and lenses on this example are provided in the gallery below. A single bullet mirror is mounted aft of the driver's vent window.

Chrome 14″ Magnum 500-style wheels with black recesses wear Hertz Sports Car Club center decals and Goodyear Blue Streak tires. A matching spare is housed in the trunk. Shelby chassis modifications included revised front suspension geometry, Kelsey-Hayes front disc brakes, and larger rear brake drums when compared to the standard Mustang of the day.

The cabin is trimmed in black vinyl with knit inserts over the front bucket and optional fold-down rear seats. Amenities include racing-style front lap belts and an AM radio.

A wood-look steering wheel frames a 140-mph speedometer flanked by gauges for fuel level, oil pressure, amperage, and coolant temperature. The five-digit odometer shows 19k miles, with total mileage unknown. A Cobra-branded tachometer is mounted atop the dash pad.

The numbers-matching 289ci HiPo V8 is fed by a four-barrel carburetor on a high-rise Cobra aluminum intake manifold, and was factory-rated at 306 horsepower and 329 lb-ft of torque. A cold start video is provided by the seller. The engine bay also houses ribbed black valve covers, a Monte Carlo bar, and an export brace along with a period-style windshield washer fluid bag.

Power is sent to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission. Tube headers feed dual exhausts exiting out the rear. A letter from the Shelby American Automobile Club in the gallery indicates that the serial number tag riveted to the left inner fender corresponds to a Shelby serial number on file in the registry. Walk-around and driving videos are provided below.

Side-Oilers

"Power is sent to the rear wheels."  Dang, I wanted one of the front-drive '66s.

BaT's copy writers need to know more about the cars they're transcribing from the owner's description.  And more about cars in general.   

PS: Cool looking Shelby! Love the black and gold.
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

JD

Quote from: Side-Oilers on February 26, 2021, 01:45:32 PM
"Power is sent to the rear wheels."  Dang, I wanted one of the front-drive '66s.

BaT's copy writers need to know more about the cars they're transcribing from the owner's description.  And more about cars in general.   

PS: Cool looking Shelby! Love the black and gold.

Agreed - on both points!
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Sfm6sxxx

Unless my aging eyes are failing me, it doesn't look like any of the BAT expert peanut gallery (not referring to Craig C) picked up on the fact that the complete floor pan or at least two complete sides were replaced.  I say this given that it appears that none of the four drain holes are opened up or have the covers screwed over them.  I guess it is less important than the steering wheel, establishing that there were 85 4 speed Hertz cars (something that was known at least in the 80's), and that there were more colors than Black & gold.

6S1114

alexgt350h

Also, not one of the listed 4- speed cars from factory!

DRGT350

Alex,
Only a very few are blessed with a  4 speed Hertz car !
Dave

alexgt350h

For many years, my late brother owned 2 4 speed Hertz cars at the same time. #603 and #551

Jon

CSX 4133

Quote from: Sfm6sxxx on February 27, 2021, 12:13:13 PM
Unless my aging eyes are failing me, it doesn't look like any of the BAT expert peanut gallery (not referring to Craig C) picked up on the fact that the complete floor pan or at least two complete sides were replaced.  I say this given that it appears that none of the four drain holes are opened up or have the covers screwed over them.  I guess it is less important than the steering wheel, establishing that there were 85 4 speed Hertz cars (something that was known at least in the 80's), and that there were more colors than Black & gold.

I'm thinking it would be beneficial to have these revelations posted within the BAT Shelby Hertz discussion. If I were a potential buyer I would want to know it's full history, the potential new owner deserves as much as well.

6R07mi

It seems incongruous to me the date codes on the engine:
casting date 5D22 = 1965 April 22
engine build stamp 5E3W = 1965 May 3

this would appear to be about 10~12 months early?
I only comment because the BaT write-up mentions "numbers matching".

jim p
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

NC TRACKRAT

Yeah, "numbers matching" after using a set of stamps on the block so it would match with the number under the S-A VIN plate. :(   On a lighter note, I just love to read the comments from all the "experts" on these auctions.
5S071, 6S1467

Bigfoot

So let's see what a car like this that has a "sniff test sneeze" by some of the SAACR's brings?....
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

silverton_ford

67 GT350

Market value is dropping. Is this the Biden effect?
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

Quote from: 67 GT350 on March 11, 2021, 08:22:06 PM
Market value is dropping. ................

What sale or sales are you comparing this sale to?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge