News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

When we’re the VINs added to the Engine and Trans for 69s?

Started by SChatman, February 28, 2021, 10:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SChatman

When we're the VINs added to the Engine and Trans for 69s? Was it at Ford or Smith? Was it different for earlier models built at Shelby in California?
Thanks

Coralsnake

AO Smith did not add VINs. All Ford products have the numbers in the same places. No, California makes no difference.

Your question refers to "early models built in California" are you asking about pre 1968 Shelbys?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SChatman on February 28, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
When we're the VINs added to the Engine and Trans for 69s? Was it at Ford or Smith? Was it different for earlier models built at Shelby in California?
Thanks
The particular assemblyine Ford Plant added the VINs regardless of early or late Shelby.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

The 1969 Shelby's were built at the Dearborn Rouge plant. No 1969 Shelby was built in California. The VIN was stamped on the engine assembly prior to installation in the car at the Dearborn Rouge Assembly plant.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Bill

Not all factory VIN's were stamped on the block in 1969, some had them had partial, rough, hand stamped VIN's into the back of the drivers side head.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bill on February 28, 2021, 01:51:43 PM
Not all factory VIN's were stamped on the block in 1969, some had them had partial, rough, hand stamped VIN's into the back of the drivers side head.

Early 69s (built in 68) may get away with no numbers. They changed the law 1-1-69 on how to mark the cars and parts so they could identify cars easily and track down stolen parts. Prior to that manufacturers weren't required to serialize the parts but many did some for warranty identification.

A. History and Overview of the VIN System
Since 1954, American automobile manufacturers have used a vehicle identification number (VIN) to describe and identify each of the motor vehicles they manufacture. The early VINs came in a wide array of configurations and variations, depending on the individual manufacturer. A move to create a more systematic VIN scheme was made in 1968, with the enactment of Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) No. 115, which took effect January 1, 1969. That standard required each passenger car to have a VIN that is permanently "sunk or embossed" on a part of the vehicle visible through the glazing by a person standing at the left windshield pillar. Manufacturers were required to avoid having a VIN be repeated within a 10-year period.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 28, 2021, 02:24:24 PM
Early 69s (built in 68) may get away with no numbers. They changed the law 1-1-69 on how to mark the cars and parts so they could identify cars easily and track down stolen parts. Prior to that manufacturers weren't required to serialize the parts but many did some for warranty identification.

Believe (don't have the copy in front of me at the moment) you will find that the change was mandatory 1/1/68. Though many US companies were doign it to some engines and transmissions for years prior 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Coralsnake

I agree it would seem unlikely that they would do it for 1968 , pause and then restart.

The 1969 FORD production assembly manuals have directions for adding the VINs.

Coralsnake

J_Speegle

Scan of a document I've posted in the past from an auto thief book from the time period. One of my father's reference guides for work and when teaching the subject

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: J_Speegle on February 28, 2021, 02:43:42 PM
Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on February 28, 2021, 02:24:24 PM

Believe (don't have the copy in front of me at the moment) you will find that the change was mandatory 1/1/68. Though many US companies were doign it to some engines and transmissions for years prior
There was no set requirement or format for VINS prior to the 68 law. Some manufacturers and states registered cars by engine number and others by body numbers. I had a 54 Studebaker that had been registered by the engine number. The engine was gone so paperwork matched nothing. Studebaker factory records showed that engine had been installed in the body I had so DMV changed the title. Most manufacturers phase in changes early so they are consistent for the entire model year.
It had to be done by 1-1-69. This is from the DOT website about VINs:
VIN scheme was made in 1968, with the enactment of Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) No. 115, which took effect January 1, 1969.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Special Ed

And dont  forget all the ford plants doing it different at different times so  always check the date codes.

J_Speegle

At least San Jose started Job 1 for 68 production for all engine and transmission combinations. Guess to get a head start on the 1/1/68 requirement.  Sure no one at the plants wanted to get hit with penalties and such

Guess the current DOT site could be in error or its a misprint. Likely no one there now that was around back then :)  Kind of like when Ford put out that they didn't stamp all engines and transmissions except for high performance engines in one of their brochures a few years back.

SChatman

Thanks everybody, I knew it was required for VINs to be stamped on the drive train at some point, I just wasn't sure where it was done. I was on a Facebook site where a few people were saying "numbers matching" had to do with correct date coded parts not vin numbers  and I had always heard it was having the original drive train with VIN numbers stamped on them.

J_Speegle

Quote from: SChatman on March 01, 2021, 12:21:44 AM
Thanks everybody, I knew it was required for VINs to be stamped on the drive train at some point, I just wasn't sure where it was done. I was on a Facebook site where a few people were saying "numbers matching" had to do with correct date coded parts not vin numbers  and I had always heard it was having the original drive train with VIN numbers stamped on them.

"Numbers Matching" means allot of different things to different people. Just like "restored" "original" "rebuilt" on and on.

Its always a good practice IMHO to ask what the term means to the person using it or making the claim so there is less confusion or misunderstanding