News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Why your 1968 GT350 / automatic probably didnt have a Holley

Started by Coralsnake, February 28, 2021, 07:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

The factory only built 112 GT350 automatics with the Holley carburetor.

This meeting note indicates the combination was not certified and it was the intention of SA to replace them.

Some were exchanged. So, it's likely only a very small percentage that survived.

Imco = automatic transmissions

GPD = Autolite production carburetor

Coralsnake

112 built / 1457 total GT350s = less than 8 % built with Holley and some of those returned.

In other words,  there is greater than 92 %  chance that a GT350 with an automatic transmission would have a Autolite carburetor

68gtcoupe

Nice!  Maybe the value of the Autolite C8ZF-D that's been sitting in a box in my basement just went up a few bucks.

Coralsnake

And it explains why finding a factory installed Holley on a GT350 with an aluminum intake is so hard

KR Convertible

Coralsnake

KR Convertible

I was looking at the last sentence in the first paragraph.  It says "Certificates of conformity have been issued for GPD carburetors with both IMCO and Thermactor systems".

Coralsnake

Yes I read that as certificates for Autolite carbs on 4spds (thermactors) and autos (IMCO).

Bob Gaines

Does the memo indicate that the cars built between job one and 3/22/68 had aluminum intakes given the Holley carbs? 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

This other memo would seem to indicate the aluminum manifolds didnt start until March  15th

I think manifolds and carbs were separate items and not treated as a combo

shelbydoug

It says either the Holley or the Autolite carb MAY be used but it doesn't say that it is includded in the recall parts supplied.

Is there evidence to see that shows the S8MS Holley carbs were being installed before May March 15? Sorry, they're both "M" words.  ::)

I haven't seen reference to that at all. The earliest dates on the carbs I have seen are March or April 68 but I've only seen a few carbs.

Most of 68 GT350 production was done by the time the S7MS intake and S8MS Holleys were incorporated into production.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

KR Convertible

Coralsnake

Improved combustion, its basically the pcv system

Gpd Im still working on finding that, but its the standard production part

67_1183

According to MrFoMoCo:

QuoteThe Autolite name was used for all components released by
Ford's General Products Division (GPD) through model-year
1971. The changeover to Motorcraft - at least for GPD,
which was responsible for Assembly parts - came @ May, 1971.

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

Coralsnake