News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Rebuilding a 1968 GT500KR power steering pump drive shaft sleeve

Started by 6s1640, March 01, 2021, 11:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

I am rebuilding this power steering pump, started out just to remove a dent in the canister (3A697).  But since I have it open, might as well finish the job.  There is a bushing/sleeve/bearing in the cast iron portion of the pump that the pulley and pump drive shaft spins on.  I have searched the different parts vendors for a new bushing and have come up zero.  Any suggestions?  Please see attached image for bushing, high lighted in red.

Thanks

Cory

Rickmustang

Ask Roger at Rodes Restoration, the best at this task.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

6s1640

Hi RickMustang,

Thank you.  I will give them a try.

Take care

Cory

6s1640

Hi Charles,

That's it.  This kit has the sleeve in it.  I also figured out the base Ford part number 6B682 and Ford did not service this part.  It was shown in the illustrations but not listed in the IPL.

Thank you

Cory

shelbydoug

I just went through this. I'd suggest that you just get a rebuit unit from Autozone or the like and switch the can over.

If there is no play in the drive, leave it alone. You don't need to change it. Leave it alone.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

Exactly, you can buy a whole core very cheaply, unless you just like to make things more complicated why jump through all the hoops?

CharlesTurner

Quote from: 6s1640 on March 02, 2021, 12:46:43 AM
That's it.  This kit has the sleeve in it.  I also figured out the base Ford part number 6B682 and Ford did not service this part.  It was shown in the illustrations but not listed in the IPL.

I've installed the sleeves, easy to do with a press. 

Ford did service the shaft, I have seen them NOS... so if yours is worn, it can be replaced.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 02, 2021, 07:07:45 AM
I just went through this. I'd suggest that you just get a rebuit unit from Autozone or the like and switch the can over.

If there is no play in the drive, leave it alone. You don't need to change it. Leave it alone.

There are differences in the castings over the years.  If one doesn't care about that detail, it's an easy swap.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

vtgt500

Press fitting a bronze sleeve and maintaining accurate (within .001) bore size is impossible.  Is necessary to fixture part correctly and power feed a precision reamer thru the bushing.  I might even rough bore it straight, leaving .005 stock to finish ream.  Just a typical day's work here.