Author Topic: power steering clamp question  (Read 1483 times)

imming1965

• View Profile
power steering clamp question
« on: March 03, 2021, 09:17:16 AM »
There are two types of clamps used to secure power steering lines when the power steering cooler was added, the pinch style and the screw clamp style. Every car I have done has used the pinch style on the cooler location and the screw clamp at the pump and the junction down by the lower control arm.
        My question is 1376 which I am restoring now and putting together had pinch clamps in all location and I was wondering if this has been seen before and if maybe it is correct for early to mid production cars? The car was fairly original and hadn't been changed to much when i started restore, it didnt look like the power steering had been changed.... any thoughts

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: power steering clamp question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
There are two types of clamps used to secure power steering lines when the power steering cooler was added, the pinch style and the screw clamp style. Every car I have done has used the pinch style on the cooler location and the screw clamp at the pump and the junction down by the lower control arm.
        My question is 1376 which I am restoring now and putting together had pinch clamps in all location and I was wondering if this has been seen before and if maybe it is correct for early to mid production cars? The car was fairly original and hadn't been changed to much when i started restore, it didnt look like the power steering had been changed.... any thoughts
When you see a 67 Shelby with other then the pinch clamps on the return lines and PS cooler that they have been changed after the car was built. The screw type was not used originally on 67 Shelby's from what I have observed.  68 Shelby is another story so don't confuse the two.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

imming1965

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks Bob, i was wondering if they were all pinch clamps. looks to be tricky to put pinch clamps on back of pump, anyone have a trick?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »
Thanks Bob, i was wondering if they were all pinch clamps. looks to be tricky to put pinch clamps on back of pump, anyone have a trick?
I pinch the clamp on the hose connected to the pump before the pump is installed on the engine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:07:18 AM »
And the pinch clamp is the much better designI only work with pinch clamps on power steering and fuel lines, you can buy them in stainless thats a nice thing, not concours but better looking and it has more stock/ professional appearance tha a cheap wal mart china screw clamp.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68