News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

SAAC-46 National Convention, Sonoma Raceway, CA

Started by computerworks, March 03, 2021, 09:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 07, 2021, 05:14:37 PM
Watching the GT World Challenge at Sonoma today.  Amazing to see all the green hills around the track. And really nice to see the track in operation but not sure if there are spectators. 8)
No spectators allowed at anything but dinner with the governor at his winery. Disneyland etc isn't even open with reduced capacity. The state hasn't opened up to sell tickets to fill the stands at sporting events but there has been no problem going to open track events at Willow. Sears should be the same.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

CSX 4133

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 07, 2021, 05:14:37 PM
Watching the GT World Challenge at Sonoma today.  Amazing to see all the green hills around the track. And really nice to see the track in operation but not sure if there are spectators. 8)

Those same hills will be anything but green by summer. California may be one of the last states to lift the mask.restrictions so get ready for further nonsense.

TA Coupe

If you don't like are "nonsense" than stay home!

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

CSX 4133

Quote from: TA Coupe on March 07, 2021, 07:43:28 PM
If you don't like are "nonsense" than stay home!

Roy

Actually I won't be attending, instead I'll be running at SVRA's Mid-Ohio race.

CSX4766

Quote from: gt350hr on March 04, 2021, 12:07:17 PM
   I am honored to be chosen again to run the drag racing program on Friday afternoon. For those of you that have participated in the past we will run the same format. "Fun runs" , "grudge runs" .  I will be attempting to set a new "low ET" for a real Shelby ( non tube chassis like Clay Holland's world's fastest). If you haven't drag raced before but would like to , shoot me a PM and I'll help you from my 50+ years of experience doing it . My favorite last time was a very nice lady with a Tesla that had never raced before . I schooled her a bit and she "silently" trounced her husband's "noisey" Mustang in a two out of three match. It was great fun. There is always PLENTY of time to get lots of runs in.
   Thanks AGAIN to SAAC and NorCal SAAC that made it happen!!!!!!!!!
       Randy Gillis.
Well glad to see SAAC back at Sonoma with Norcal! We have always been the best host. I ran the first Drag Race and Mini Nats and one or two more but it's been a few years
Morgan LeBlanc
Former owner of 1967 GT-500 #03217
Current Owner: Shelby 427 Cobra #4766
1969 Mustang Mach 1 S-Code

SAM83

The last convention in 2018 at Sears Point was a lot of fun and especially enjoyed participating in the parade lap with my Shelby.  I hope the organizers do more to encourage people to drive their Shelby to the event.  A plus would be if there was a roped off area at the host hotel for Shelby owners  and visible security.  I spent 2 sleepless nights wondering if a minivan was going to park next to my Shelby and provide me with an unwanted door ding or possibly worse.  Fortunately neither happened.
I doubt I'll drive my car to the event unless I know beforehand  there is a roped off area and visible security.  Either way I will definitely be attending...

FL SAAC

Quote from: 6T6/7 on March 04, 2021, 12:41:23 PM
So, how's covid restrictions looking in CA? Hopefully open to large gatherings, etc. at time of the convention, at least in Marin and Sonoma counties  :)

Forget about restrictions, make sure that you are secure. Have a Florida State of mind.

If not now then when, if not me then who? Just do it

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350hr

Quote from: SAM83 on March 11, 2021, 09:30:24 PM
The last convention in 2018 at Sears Point was a lot of fun and especially enjoyed participating in the parade lap with my Shelby.  I hope the organizers do more to encourage people to drive their Shelby to the event.  A plus would be if there was a roped off area at the host hotel for Shelby owners  and visible security.  I spent 2 sleepless nights wondering if a minivan was going to park next to my Shelby and provide me with an unwanted door ding or possibly worse.  Fortunately neither happened.
I doubt I'll drive my car to the event unless I know beforehand  there is a roped off area and visible security.  Either way I will definitely be attending...

I got black flagged on the parade laps! I have very low gears and no mufflers so it sounded like I was "racing" yet I wasn't keeping up! Go figure.
   I appreciate your concerns about parking , that is something to consider.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Don Johnston

Doesn't Sonoma Raceway have a decibel limit?  Could have been the issue.

98SVT - was 06GT

They have 103 db limit from what I've read. They had to move the outlet on my car from the right door to under the car to try and fool the DB police at Laguna in the late 80s. Hopefully it will be finished for SAAC46. 310" Cleveland TransAm engine 8,000 rev limiter. Pair of Flowmasters 4" in-out.

CSX 4133

Sonoma has a 96 DB for non racing events (HPD, etc.) and 103 DB for racing events (NASA, etc).  The neighbors (which by the way are quickly encroaching on this track) will be complaining if the 96 DB is exceeded for a "track day" event.

Don Johnston

The cows must be complaining. 

I expect a lot of ag. land is being rezoned for residential.  It has been happening at a lot of tracks and airports.  Subsequently, the new residents of these developments start petitioning for sound level restrictions despite knowing that the facility was there first.

Anyway, hopefully SAAC cars will be okay.  Those with experience with these type of track dB limits could give tips on any necessary modifications to various Cobras and Shelby Mustangs to insure that they are compliant. 8)

S7MS427

Quote from: Don Johnston on March 12, 2021, 05:44:00 PM
I expect a lot of ag. land is being rezoned for residential.  It has been happening at a lot of tracks and airports.  Subsequently, the new residents of these developments start petitioning for sound level restrictions despite knowing that the facility was there first.

Yup, race tracks and airports are the most endangered land in the US.  What gets me going is that all the people knew that they were there in the first place.  Then they decide to launch a law suit and before you know it, the track or airport is closed down.  I don't believe the plaintiffs have the right to close an existing facility.  Just my humble opinion.  >:(
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: S7MS427 on March 12, 2021, 06:00:19 PM
Yup, race tracks and airports are the most endangered land in the US. 
Airports fare a little better since they are federally licensed. They have tried to shut down Santa Monica for years but as soon as the feds demand all the money back that they have poured into it since the 1920s it survives.
A friend owns 2 small private airports. His "new" neighbors tried to shut down his one in NV. The county told them tough luck it's got a federal license they gave up. The one he recently bought in AZ was created as an air park housing development in the 60s. The big user was a ag spraying biz that went bust around 2000. He bought 1 lot and the runway to assure it stays an air park. The original corp says if it's no longer an airport the land reverts to the original owner or his family.

68GT350roadracer

I do not know sound restriction rules for this year. In 2018 it was for Sunday. It affected me because that was the day I paid for track time. My car is strictly a race car without any mufflers. Thank you Howard Pardee for solving my problem very quickly Saturday morning. Giving me track time Saturday instead of Sunday.