Author Topic: SAAC-46 National Convention, Sonoma Raceway, CA  (Read 68505 times)

Cobrask8

• View Profile
Re: SAAC-46 National Convention, Sonoma Raceway, CA
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »
I think we set the all-time high mark for the Popular Ballot car show at SAAC-44 at Pitt Race.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »
Having worked the registration desk at Pittsburg id say you were right. We were making registration forms as we ran out of the 150 they had printed.
It looks like some real nice cars were at the car shoe. Pictures anyone?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:57:27 PM by Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas »
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
Sometimes when you here crickets after a question was asked, it speaks volumes. Doesnt have to be exact, just curious?

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2021, 04:10:30 PM »
Sometimes when you here crickets after a question was asked, it speaks volumes. Doesn't have to be exact, just curious?

My first thought is, if you can't pick out vintage cars in the reasonably good quality picture, how important can it be to you. But that's being kind of snarky. Perhaps you have poor eyesight. So to give you a polite answer, about 50 vintage cars. I didn't verify every Cobra, but my guess is more replicas than originals. Two Ford GTs, at least another three in the garages. Probably another 50 vintage cars in the paddock. Hard to keep up with track cars as they come and go. I know I didn't see the '68 engineering car, but was told it was there, but wouldn't start.

I had three days of enjoyment there.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2021, 06:44:46 PM »
..... about 50 vintage cars. I didn't verify every Cobra, but my guess is more replicas than originals. Two Ford GTs, at least another three in the garages. Probably another 50 vintage cars in the paddock.

How many of the Ford GT were "replicas"? There was even a Daytona Clone er Coupe. We are seeing fewer and fewer "real" cars at conventions. It's all just a matter of value. You see some fresh restorations because the owners need to bring them and have them judged for that value adding trophy. You won't see them next year unless they have corrected problems and want a higher rating to make it worth more.
More and more cars are disappearing into multi Shelby collections with owners who are not into the club scene or interested in driving their "artwork" or much less in flogging it on the track. Heck some of those owners have other brands and just bought a SA car for it's investment value.
As far as track time goes the newer cars (even a base Mustang GT) will lay down much better lap times and take a far lesser skill level to do it so there is no reason to risk the value of a classic. OK rant over. I don't even want to go into how many trailers that were at SAAC1 vs 46.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2021, 08:21:45 PM »
Sometimes when you here crickets after a question was asked, it speaks volumes. Doesn't have to be exact, just curious?

My first thought is, if you can't pick out vintage cars in the reasonably good quality picture, how important can it be to you. But that's being kind of snarky. Perhaps you have poor eyesight. So to give you a polite answer, about 50 vintage cars. I didn't verify every Cobra, but my guess is more replicas than originals. Two Ford GTs, at least another three in the garages. Probably another 50 vintage cars in the paddock. Hard to keep up with track cars as they come and go. I know I didn't see the '68 engineering car, but was told it was there, but wouldn't start.

I had three days of enjoyment there.
Since we asked a very simple question of how many vintage cars showed up I was just looking for a simple number, thats all, no more or no less. I was not there and dont know how many tents, parking lots, storage areas where cars might be positioned. Now to get to your statement, yes I could see the picture very well, and was not looking for a snarky answer so a polite answer was well received. Nobody cares if you had a good time, and no one asked that question of you, so simple questions just require simple answers. Thanks!

jguyer

• SAAC Member
  • Any man that eats chili, can't be all bad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 23, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
Next time I will let the crickets reply.
"Never trust a man that don't eat cornbread, or a woman that don't cook it"