News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

SFM5R213 Cobra Caravan R Model MECUM INDY MAY 2021

Started by SBCARGUY, March 05, 2021, 01:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBCARGUY

Hi All,

Just thought I would mention 5R213 will be up for auction at Mecum Indy May 2021.

I owned the car for almost 4 years and had John Brown "Completely Restore" It.

Any questions... Just reach out to me or post them here.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0521-461933/1965-shelby-gt350r-fastback/

paul

427heaven

WOW..... I dont know if you booted mama out of the house to put your SHELBY in there, or if she moved into the garage with you? One way or another that is a fantastic storage facility!!! ;)

paul

Thank you 427heaven.
I have just about completed the conversion of a 1200 square-foot shop in my backyard into the ultimate man cave/apartment with the intent of moving my dad into it when he's ready.
I am very proud of how it looks. I did most of it myself and it turned out better than expected.
213 looked great in there. Even though my dad lives only 5 miles from my home, I think him living there instead of 213 is the best possible outcome.

paul

213 currently has a stock hipo 289 motor with all the R model trim installed. Along with the car at auction is an additional race engine on a rolling dolly. The race engine is also a date appropriate hipo 289 with lots of goodies for higher performance. It's dynoed in at 352 ft/lbs torque and 375 horse power

SBCARGUY

As per the last few posts by Paul...

Here are photos of the Race Engine and Dyno Sheet.

Rickmustang

I've ridden in Paul's incredible piece of Shelby history. If you have ridden in a street car, multiply that by a factor of 10....the sound, smell, and acceleration are all awesome. And then to know what you are riding in...amzaing. John Brown's restorations speak for themselves. Besides Ken Mile's car, I think this is the most desirable R-model, and it still rides on original magnesium wheels and race tires. And the documentation that goes with the car is just as incredible.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

BGlover67

Paul,

Beautiful car, but having your Dad there with you is the real treasure.  God Bless.
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

paul

Thank you Rick and Brian.

Brian, you sir are 100% correct. My dad is 85 and I would consider him my best friend. I am blessed not only to have a very close relationship with him but also blessed by being aware and appreciative of it in real time.

Rick, the motor in 213 at the time we went for our ride is still in it. It's basically a stock 1965 hipo 289 with a modern solid lift camshaft. That specific cam was recommended to me by the gentleman who restored my vintage Weber setup(its lobe separation is perfectly suited for the Webers to perform). The combination of camshaft, roller rockers, and valve springs/keepers/retainers make for an excellent street engine. Even with just the 4V Holley instead of Webers, it performs exceptionally!

The race motor, which is also included in the sale, is very aggressive in comparison. At over 14 to 1 compression, roller camshaft, and highly finessed heads, it completely changes the experience of driving the car. With it installed, the car attracted even more attention(good and bad)! In full disclosure, I initially decided to swap engines because even just idling the motor to get out of my neighborhood, the car would cause all my neighbor's horses to panic and stampede to the back of their properties trying to get away.