News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1609 and Blue Angel #5

Started by FlyNavy, March 09, 2021, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyNavy

New addition to the Hickory Aviation Museum, Hickory NC where I volunteer is our recently retired Blue Angel #5 F/A--18A Hornet.  The Blues have now moved on to the Super Hornet for 2021.  Maybe some time this year, the group would like to come over and hang out for a day and park amongst our aircraft.  One of the aviation museums on the West Coast does a Shelby gathering at their place and they get a nice turnout. 

Corey Bowcutt

Side-Oilers

That first photo is especially bad-azz!
Current:
2006 FGT, Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs. Top Speed Certified 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra 427.  482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Previous:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model

TedS

Really great Bill. Is the Blue #5 permanent to Hickory?

6T6SHELBY

I would love the opportunity to come over and take pictures with the planes!!!! You can drive my car if I can fly the plane  ;).

BGlover67

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

It was nice of you to spot him half a (plane) length,but who won??? ;)

What is the difference between a F/A--18A Hornet and a Super Hornet?

Love the Torq-Thrusts BTW.

camp upshur

Simple answer: it's 20% larger.
as CV power projection slides to irrelevance
-Camp Upshur (Naval Aviator)

FlyNavy

Quote from: 2112 on March 09, 2021, 09:52:52 PM
What is the difference between a F/A--18A Hornet and a Super Hornet?

Love the Torq-Thrusts BTW.

Louder and faster.  A little different in leading edge of wings at cockpit and intakes are now square. 

FlyNavy

Quote from: TedS on March 09, 2021, 04:47:25 PM
Really great Bill. Is the Blue #5 permanent to Hickory?

Yes, it's ours.  Only our Museum and the Smithsonian got ours flown in and are complete aircraft, the other museums that got them had to remove engines, disassemble, truck, and reassemble which is a very expensive deal.  The people of Hickory were treated to a mini-airshow when it arrived, flown by a former Blue Angel pilot. 

NC TRACKRAT

Would really like to come over.  I recall we were going to do this a year or so ago but got rained out. Throw out a date and let's see what sticks!
5S071, 6S1467

chris NOS

jswoody

Two rides I would never turn down!

mark p

Wow - great pix Bill - and nice that the Museum hit a big score  8)
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird