News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Nose high stance

Started by Jimbc123, April 08, 2018, 11:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbc123

Yesterday a fellow owner asked me the reason why Mustangs/Cougars had the higher front end and I didn't have a good answer. I am guessing there might be an engineering reason rather than a marketing reason. Period drag cars ran with the nose higher for weight transfer. Same reason here?

Thanks,

Jim

It sure wasn't for improved cornering.

427heaven

Back in the day it was for weight transfer, today probably the 50 year old sags. Cougars are usually worse for sagging then the stangs for some reason.

Someone in engineering said the cars need to look like they are carrying a dirty diaper.

BGlover67

Quote from: 2112 on April 08, 2018, 06:48:11 PM
Someone in engineering said the cars need to look like they are carrying a dirty diaper.

Now that is funny.   ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

papa scoops

or a dog taking a big ole dump. they looked like that when new. why I always disliked the 68's. phred

shelbydoug

Oye! This spring set up was a Ford deal. The rear springs used in the "high performance" handling package were arched in such a way that the as s hung down. It made the nose stick up.

I suppose you could say that they only had pure function and aesthetics had zero consideration? Similar to a high performance camshaft having little regard to it's idling qualities? According to Ford, it was a racing spring.

If you ask me, they are lousy. They have only a measured travel of 2-3/4" before they hit the bump stop rubber and make it impossible to carry any adults in the rear seats without riding on the bump stop rubber.

The engineer responsible for this should more correctly have been called a saboteur?

The effect of these springs can be seen over and over in vintage pictures. I think that they particularly show on the 67 and 68 Shelbys with that speedboat profile of the nose in the air look but all of the Shelbys show that profile to a certain extent?

Now here's the ironic thing. All of the Mustangs have,  an "aerodynamic issue" at some speed.

In the case of the 67's and 8' Shelby's at somewhere around 135-140mph you will get a sudden lift at speed.
To me the effect feels harsh, comes without prediction since it varies at different speeds and feels to me like the car is suddenly going up a ramp then dropping back down 3 or 4 inches off of a curb. That's harsh. That's unnerving. I don't like wearing adult diapers to drive at that speed.

Apparently the R models and the T/A cars also experience something of this effect with that stock HP rear spring as well.

On a bunch of occasions I have come across documentation that an extra long top leaf was put into the car (race cars).

That pushes the tail back up, gives better stability at speed, reduces or eliminates bottoming of the axle against the bump stops and with COMBINATION of lowering the front of the car, changes the aerodynamics of the car. It becomes a 150mph car.

Now my 68 GT350 has this modification to it and the only departure that I did from the race cars was to change out the rear Koni shocks (because they are too harsh) and installed  CURE-Ride rears.

The difference is the CURE-Ride has a 1-3/8" diameter piston and the combination is just right for me. The car rides like a Lincoln and sticks like it is on flypaper. You would think there is an IRS in there instead of a live axle because of the smoothness?

If you go back and research the shocks you will at least find a mention from that guy Richard J. Kopec about Shelby and Cure ride doing a project together on the 66 models primarily for the drag cars.

Personally I'd recommend these above changes I mention to everyone with a Mustang.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!