Author Topic: Very High FE Dual Quad - What is it?  (Read 4373 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Very High FE Dual Quad - What is it?
« on: March 16, 2021, 04:48:55 AM »
Hi all,

I came across this FE dual quad at a recent swap meeting, (Pacific Raceways 3-6-21)  that I have never seen before nor seen any advertising on the intake.  It is much higher than a FE high rise intake that I have seen.  What is it?  The price was near $1300.

Thanks

Cory

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
Re: Very High FE Dual Quad - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »
Very interesting. If you have pictures of the ports we can figure out if it is designed for low riser or medium riser. It's one of those two, and likely something the Ford engineers made. I am leaning towards low riser just because of the oddity of it. The MR was only trendy for a brief period of time before the tunnel port came along. It's for sure not high riser and not tunnel port.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 12:29:11 PM »
      I question that it is a Ford/FoMoCo casting as there seem to be some inconsistencies with what at least I think should be present, but hey, I been wrong before!     :-\

Scott.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
I'd guess Offenhauser but most have the O monogram cast into them?

It has no vacuum port provisions on the right side cast into it. That's where Ford put them that I have seen.

You need more information. Weiand did some Ford stuff too.

It can't be a production manifold because it places the carbs too high. Maybe a forerunner to the aftermarket tunnel rams?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
Here is a front few and close up of a marking.  Kind of looks like a square around some characters.  I can’t make out.

Cory

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »
Dunno what it is, but I kinda am lusting on it pretty hard.

TJinSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
Here is a front few and close up of a marking.  Kind of looks like a square around some characters.  I can’t make out.

Cory
looks like FOMOCO to me!
Tom Kubler
6S296

JWH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 09:22:11 PM »
Cory, by chance did you get a look at the carbs on this beast? Did they have the Ford part numbers stamped into them? It would be interesting to hear what the stampings on each carb are.

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 03:16:40 AM »
Cory, by chance did you get a look at the carbs on this beast? Did they have the Ford part numbers stamped into them? It would be interesting to hear what the stampings on each carb are.

Hi JWH,

I only got the two images.  There were people stand all around talking with no masks and I did not want to get to close.  Safety first.

There is a hint on the primary carb 660.  I would assume 660 CFM.  Could they be HOLLEY 4224 Tunnel Ram carbs?  They are rated at 660 CFM and are intended for 2X4 set ups.  At least that was the internet has told me.  Not sure.  Below is am image of a carb that is advertrized as a HOLLEY 4224 Tunnel Ram Carb.  The throttle linkage looks the same as that carb at the swap meet.

Cory
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:05:47 AM by 6s1640 »

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 06:35:31 AM »
Looks like High Riser from that side. Carbs are later. Intake looks to be 1963 - 4 ish Ford made, not aftermarket but not common either.

Cory
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
The cast in monogram could be FOMOCO but it isn't in the format that I would expect to see?
It likely is an SK part number.

There are some witches brew combinations made by Ford with mixes such as a medium rise port with a high rise exterior.

I've seen that with '80s Boss 302 and 351c casings intended to look stock on the exterior but were for undetectable racing interior porting. This could be one that escaped the laboratory.

Secret FE manifold castings with that thought process are before my time. Someone like Randy may recognize it or still have contacts that will?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Wedgeman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 12:09:28 PM »
Love them 660's.. ;D

Cobrabob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »
What's with the braided lines tapped into the carb spacers?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »
What's with the braided lines tapped into the carb spacers?

Nitrous oxide feed lines. It's a "cheater" set up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Not sure if it’s FOMOCO, but had that manifold on my 427 side oiler. That was on my Sanger Flat Botton boat in 1971.Interesting, that was at Tahoe and actually raced Shelby’s flat bottom “El Cobra”. Did win, however Carroll wasn’t driving!