News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Correct trunk lid

Started by davez, April 08, 2018, 10:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davez

I have carryover 236. My trunk lid has the round cutouts in the reinforcement. I know that the 65 lids had the large rectangular cutouts. However in looking through pics on the carryover site. I see both lid styles on cars. My car has original undamaged quarters and tail light panel and the trunk looks original, but any thing is possible.  Is either style correct or since they were 65 bodies should it be rectangular 65 style?
Dz

J_Speegle

What is the date of your trunk lid?  Always a good place to start ;)

Doing a survey/study of 65 trunk lids, hinge changes and other running changes on our site. Since it includes input from Mustangs also built at San Jose we've got allot more examples to collect data from.  Got an idea of what went on but will have to wait until we at get data collected before I can offer an educated opinion.  Lots of these have been changed over the years so taking everything at face value can produce incorrect conclusions or best guesses

Too bad we don't have completion dates for these and other 65 & 66's. Would make life a little easier

While your collecting that date might want to look at the passenger side trunk hinge also
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

Nice work once again Jeff, I'll post 273's data

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

SFM6S087

Dave,

My research with the Carryover Owners Group indicates that both types of trunk lids were used on the carryovers. The lower VIN cars got 1965 style lids, and the higher VIN cars got 1966 style lids (with the round cutouts you described). The exact transition is hard to pin down, but all the known original lids I have for cars above 6S090 are the 1966 style, and your 6S236 almost certainly came with the 1966 style lid.

For comparison, 6S193 and 6S242 were produced on the same DSO as your car and they both have original 1966 style trunk lids.

Also for comparison, the following date codes are on several of the carryovers with VINs very close to yours.

Trunk Lid  7 12 C3
Driver's Hinge  6 11 2D
Passenger Hinge  6 18 2D

Your dates don't have to match those, but will probably be close if your lid and hinges are original to your car.

If you don't mind, please post your date codes here or shoot them to me in an email. I'd like to add them to my database.

Steve

davez

My trunk hinges match those exactly
Drivers 6 11 2D
Passenger  6 18 2D
My trunk lid isn't clear has too much paint in it. It looks to be  7 28  2C but I will have to use some paint stripper or thinner to check. Now that I know that both styles were used I'm more comfortable mine is original.
Thanks

kingchief

Any photos...please?  Always help as I believe there were some in Forum 1.0.

Steve
SFM 6S406

acman63

Quote from: SFM6S087 on April 09, 2018, 04:26:49 AM
Dave,

My research with the Carryover Owners Group indicates that both types of trunk lids were used on the carryovers. The lower VIN cars got 1965 style lids, and the higher VIN cars got 1966 style lids (with the round cutouts you described). The exact transition is hard to pin down, but all the known original lids I have for cars above 6S090 are the 1966 style, and your 6S236 almost certainly came with the 1966 style lid.

For comparison, 6S193 and 6S242 were produced on the same DSO as your car and they both have original 1966 style trunk lids.

When I had 6S243  decklid was round hole  and original paint albeit exterior of car needed paint

Also for comparison, the following date codes are on several of the carryovers with VINs very close to yours.

Trunk Lid  7 12 C3
Driver's Hinge  6 11 2D
Passenger Hinge  6 18 2D

Your dates don't have to match those, but will probably be close if your lid and hinges are original to your car.

If you don't mind, please post your date codes here or shoot them to me in an email. I'd like to add them to my database.

Steve
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

SFM6S087

Thanks Dave & Jim for the info on 6S236 & 6S243.

Steve

J_Speegle

Quote from: kingchief on April 09, 2018, 08:27:27 AM
Any photos...please?  Always help as I believe there were some in Forum 1.0.

The trunk lid comparison picture from my survey

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

DRGT350

davez

Left hinge 6 11 2D
Right hinge 6 18 2D
Trunk lid 6 23 2D
Thanks for the info

GT350Lad

6S373 has circles
Trunk lid 11 3 3C
Hinges 8 1 2D
8 12 2D
6S373
6S1276

SFM6S087

Quote from: davez on April 09, 2018, 09:04:49 PM
Left hinge 6 11 2D
Right hinge 6 18 2D
Trunk lid 6 23 2D
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the updated trunk lid date code. With cars this old that have passed thru so many owners it's difficult to know for sure if certain items are original to a specific vehicle. But the 1966 (circle) style lid you have, along with those date codes, certainly indicate that trunk lid came on your car.

While we're on date codes, I've done some research on the production dates of the carryovers. I'd be happy to share my data about the San Jose production date of your 6S236 if you'd like. Shoot me an email if that interests you.

Steve

If you

SFM6S087

Quote from: DRGT350 on April 09, 2018, 07:38:59 PM
   6S239 has circles -

Thanks, Dave. I'll add that to my records.
Do you have any idea if that lid is original to your car?
Can you post the date codes?

If you don't want to post that stuff publicly, you can send it to me via email.

Steve

Chad

184 has:

Hinges:
6 11 2D
6 18 2?

Trunk lid is a 66 with date code: ? 13(or 23) 2C
To much paint on the month and first number of the day