News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Found 68 GT350/500? need help identifying it. I have questions

Started by SFM5S000, March 29, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM5S000

First off, I don't care for the term "Barn Find" it's so over used. Anyway being and staying in our Northern NY home due to COVID I've been skiing quite a bit. One of my retired (75yo) skiing buddy/friends said his neighbor has a Shelby body he wants to get rid of, knowing I was into these things. I asked what year. He didn't know. He had his neighbor call me. It turns out someone who owed him money gave him the car. He himself didn't know what year it was thinking maybe 67-69? He's not a car guy. Just told it was a Shelby. Came out of the persons garage that owed money into his garage/barn sat in his garage for 10+ years. Getting his property ready to sell so he can move to Florida. He wants this gone.

My friend Jerry and I stopped by his garage to take a quick look last week Thursday on our way back from Gore Mountain. The neighbor wasn't home but we looked anyway. I'm not a 68 guy. This is more a Pete Disher, Bob Gaines, Special Ed or shelbydoug expertise. I took a few pics in the short time I was there. There was too much stuff on the car to look for a VIN stamping under the hood. But the body pieces were definitely 68.
I'm heading there tomorrow to uncover it or at least look under the hood. There is no motor, trans, interior is disassembled (mess). I was told it rolls.
Here's my question. If there is no tag, are the inner fenders stamped like the 65/66 cars? I have the current registries to the early cars but not the later 68-70 cars. What will I see or look for on a 68?

I asked the owner over the phone when we spoke last week if there was a tag on the driver side inner fender. He said there was but the previous owner sold it. (?!!!) I thought how is that possible?

This county of New York are predominantly farmers, dairy farmers and Amish.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
~Earl J

SFM5S000

Royce Peterson

It's a '68. The VIN  tag is in the windshield on the passenger side. Also the VIN is stamped on each inner fender, typically not visible with the fenders installed. The VIN also would be stamped on the build tag if present on the radiator core support passenger side front, and on the trim tag on the LH door rear face.

Get a bill of sale notarized and signed by the person who owns it. The bill of sale needs to have the car's correct VIN or it won't be legal.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

427heaven

Maybe we can coin a new phrase... Uncomfortable resting place-  Most are found with crap piled in, on, or around, like that one! My guess is to make as much noise as possible and to slow down any unwanted advances toward the vehicle. Great find they are still out there. Keep us posted. :)

CharlesTurner

Could be a mustang with shelby fiberglass also... check the VIN's.  Windshield/dash VIN is easiest one to see, assuming one is there.

You'd be best served making sure the car is not stolen.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

The VIN WILL be stamped visibly on the drivers side inner fender under where the Shelby VIN tag would normally be pop-riveted. There will be a notch in the lip of the outer fender.

It will be in the mirror image on the passenger side. That side will be concealed under the outer fenders inner lip and the fenders although bolted in place normally had an adhesive black caulking used between the two so they need to be pried apart, once unbolted to reveal the stamped number which may be under some caulking.

There normally is the Warranty tag riveted to the drivers door as well. The tag will have the Ford VIN on it

If the windshield is still in place there was a Ford tag riveted on the passenger side with the Ford VIN. The only place that the Shelby consecutive unit number would be on the car would be on the Shelby VIN tag.

There was always "talk" of a third number in the trunk that one needed to drill a hole through the trunk floor to see but as of this date, no one that I know of has ever confirmed that it existed.

It was mentioned in Ford documentation and could just be a misinterpretation of other information provided to State Police Departments?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Royce Peterson

Anyone who believes that there is a VIN stamped in the trunk area is not too bright.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 29, 2021, 10:50:51 AM

There was always "talk" of a third number in the trunk that one needed to drill a hole through the trunk floor to see but as of this date, no one that I know of has ever confirmed that it existed.

It was mentioned in Ford documentation and could just be a misinterpretation of other information provided to State Police Departments?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

shelbydoug

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 29, 2021, 11:44:30 AM
Anyone who believes that there is a VIN stamped in the trunk area is not too bright.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 29, 2021, 10:50:51 AM

It was from a sheet showed to me by my parts man. It isn't something that I made up. It was limited to "Police" use at the time so I couldn't have a copy.

It showed the location and how to determine it. Not having a photographic memory, I don't remember the specifics but it wasn't my imagination. It was sprung on me quite unexpectedly.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

hertzz350

Upper and lower scoops look like they are sitting funny. Lower scoop looks like its blocked.
current owner of 6s689
Previous owner of 6s1855 ,6s1297,6s731

Special Ed

Yep and greenish upper scoop looks like the replacement type.

TA Coupe

Are the 2 door mirrors in the 3rd pic correct for a 68 Shelby?

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: TA Coupe on March 29, 2021, 01:07:35 PM
Are the 2 door mirrors in the 3rd pic correct for a 68 Shelby?

Roy

'68 Shelby normally had only a remote door mirror on the driver side.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

SFM5S000

Hey guys, on the third pic (here it is again) notice the 4 little holes on the passenger side dash board. Would that have been for the mounting of the dash Snake GT350/500 logo emblem? I'm a bit anxious to see this car again.
Are reproduction emblems stick-on or do they have mounting studs?
Cheers,
~Earl J

shelbydoug

Yes they are for either the Mustang or the Shelby medallion.

All you need to do or have done is clear the debris off the passenger side of the windsheild and look for the Ford tag.
The windshield is in so the tag is probably there.

Anyone can do that for you. That will probably tell you everything that you need to know. That number now can be cross referenced.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!