News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Found 68 GT350/500? need help identifying it. I have questions

Started by SFM5S000, March 29, 2021, 09:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Curry

At first glance I would say Mustang with Shelby Fiberglas. Don't see a roll bar.

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

mr68shelby

shelbymann1970

Hard to tell by the pics but would the 4 pin holes in the dash match up to a Shelby emblem? They appear to match up to this NOS but the angle could be deceiving.  Do any of the reg Mustang dash emblems used have this hole pattern? It appears they don't.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

tesgt350

Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 29, 2021, 11:44:30 AM
Anyone who believes that there is a VIN stamped in the trunk area is not too bright.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 29, 2021, 10:50:51 AM

There was always "talk" of a third number in the trunk that one needed to drill a hole through the trunk floor to see but as of this date, no one that I know of has ever confirmed that it existed.

It was mentioned in Ford documentation and could just be a misinterpretation of other information provided to State Police Departments?

I believe there IS a hidden VIN on the early Mustangs after watching a TV Show where Three Teams would buy a Car out of a Junk Yard to flip.  They were each given a certain amount of money to spend and they had one week.  The Team that made the most Money from their Car won.  This Team bought a 66 Mustang Coupe out of a Junk Yard to flip and one member was thinking the whole time the Mustang was stolen because the VIN's were gone, so the rest of the Team decided to call the Cops to check. They talked with the Cops about a possible hidden VIN and the Cops said every Car has a hidden VIN.  Everyone was sent out of the Garage and the doors closed, about 30 minutes later the two Cops came out and said YES, the Mustang had been reported Stolen and they had to take it.  That Team lost.

shelbymann1970

Well every car would have a hidden Vin so many assy line workers over time would have stamped that Vin. So how come I have never heard from any of them saying this was done? I have my original metal vert media blasted and I put it on a rotisserie back around 2000. I checked all over for any numbers as I restored it top to bottom detailing everything and actually over restoring the bottom(body color). So am I to assume that the cops can come in and drill a hole and find a complete or mostly partial VIN on my car? Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

stangman39

A bit off the original topic but I think most officers today don't really know where to look for vins on old Mustangs.
When I've need a few verified in the past I usually have to educate the officer.  Just my experience tho.

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on March 30, 2021, 09:03:46 AM
Well every car would have a hidden Vin so many assy line workers over time would have stamped that Vin. So how come I have never heard from any of them saying this was done? I have my original metal vert media blasted and I put it on a rotisserie back around 2000. I checked all over for any numbers as I restored it top to bottom detailing everything and actually over restoring the bottom(body color). So am I to assume that the cops can come in and drill a hole and find a complete or mostly partial VIN on my car? Gary

I have to agree with this.  There have been thousands of 1st generation mustangs that have dissected, panel by panel, stripped to bare metal and built back up.  If there were ever any hidden VIN's someone would have found them by now.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Supposedly it is lightly stamped inside on of the rear chassis rails. I believe that it begins in the '68 model year.

It does not show through with any transparency like the front aprons do.

I can not confirm this but have had State Police tell me that yes it exits.

You at the time, needed some kind of security clearance to see it since the Police did not want the information out in the public domain.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

You just proved  my comment is dead on.

Quote from: tesgt350 on March 30, 2021, 07:13:52 AM
Quote from: Royce Peterson on March 29, 2021, 11:44:30 AM
Anyone who believes that there is a VIN stamped in the trunk area is not too bright.

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 29, 2021, 10:50:51 AM

There was always "talk" of a third number in the trunk that one needed to drill a hole through the trunk floor to see but as of this date, no one that I know of has ever confirmed that it existed.

It was mentioned in Ford documentation and could just be a misinterpretation of other information provided to State Police Departments?

I believe there IS a hidden VIN on the early Mustangs after watching a TV Show where Three Teams would buy a Car out of a Junk Yard to flip.  They were each given a certain amount of money to spend and they had one week.  The Team that made the most Money from their Car won.  This Team bought a 66 Mustang Coupe out of a Junk Yard to flip and one member was thinking the whole time the Mustang was stolen because the VIN's were gone, so the rest of the Team decided to call the Cops to check. They talked with the Cops about a possible hidden VIN and the Cops said every Car has a hidden VIN.  Everyone was sent out of the Garage and the doors closed, about 30 minutes later the two Cops came out and said YES, the Mustang had been reported Stolen and they had to take it.  That Team lost.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

427hunter

There is not a secret vin number stamped anywhere on a mustang/shelby, the only body stamped vin numbers are on both front inner fender aprons.

Post the vin of this car and all the questions will be answered.

P.S. In the past he N.I.C.B.  published a cheat sheet that showed the location of vin/hidden vins on vehicles, that's where police departments got that information from in the first place.   
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on March 30, 2021, 10:49:34 AM
Supposedly it is lightly stamped inside on of the rear chassis rails. I believe that it begins in the '68 model year.

It does not show through with any transparency like the front aprons do.

I can not confirm this but have had State Police tell me that yes it exits.

You at the time, needed some kind of security clearance to see it since the Police did not want the information out in the public domain.
again my car above was media blasted and the underside was real clean in the areas you mentioned. If you can provide a pic of the approximate areas you are referring to I'll get my friends all original California car up on a lift and look for those numbers in the areas you provide. My vert I spent 6 months on a rotisserie perfecting the underside getting rid of dents and any metal pitting(none in the rear frame areas). Pic below is the outer rear frame rail on one side of the B9 I mentioned. So look on the other side? Or do you mean the inside of the rails which are impossible to see unless you cut the car up? If that was the case it would be impossible to stamp the INSIDE of the rail because it is "U" shaped and no way to stamp once formed from a blank.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

427heaven

Its like a BIGFOOT sighting... One time, someone, saw one, somewhere,  ;D The young police inspectors, DMV inspectors, and Mustang experts cant find it. Certainly no one with a sawzall, hole saw is not getting anywhere near that area without considering possibly losing their life over that number. Might be there, Like Morrisons car it might show up... ;D

TOBKOB

QuoteEveryone was sent out of the Garage and the doors closed, about 30 minutes later the two Cops came out and said YES, the Mustang had been reported Stolen and they had to take it.  That Team lost.

The question is which cop's house did it go to???   :o  ;)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Harris Speedster

I have never witnessed a secret Vin on a mustang.
I will say this, when I was dealing heavily in Dodge, Cuda etc, hemi or 6 pack for the most part;

A dear friend in Ca told me of a secret vin on Cuda's and other Mopar.
trunk rain gutter, drivers side if i recall.

There are other stamped locations, but FEW experts knew about the rain gutter numbers.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7